Sunday 31 May 2009

British Mummy Blogger of the Week

Suggesting a candidate for British Mummy Blogger of the week is a daunting task (there are now 313 of us, did you know that?), but it gives me a reason to visit blogs that aren't on my blogroll, and highlights one of the things that I like best about blogging. Apart from the opportunity to complete a thought from beginning to end without being asked for television / sweets / a trip to the loo / to adjucate in the latest battle over who gets to play with the power ranger communicator next, that is.

One of my favourite things about blogging is the way that it offers a window onto other people's lives and experiences.

Sometimes the view through this window is Hollywood make-believe. Sometimes it's real-life but seen soft-focus, tweaked a little here and there to make things a little more interesting or entertaining (the Potty Diaries being a case in point). Sometimes it's reality tv; not in the 'car-crash I-can't-watch-but-I can't-look-away' fashion of so much on the screens today, but more in a way that illuminates a corner that you may be aware of, but which you might not usually have much cause to investigate.

Which brings me to Mighty Mother's blog.

On her BMB profile she writes:

'This blog is about the journey I have taken with my son. The journey that has taken me through a uncharted world, that has taken Jonathan from severely autistic to high functioning. Thirteen years have passed and the journey still continues. My son has taught me and many others unforgettable and wonderful lessons about life and love. If I had the choice to live without autism I can honestly say I wouldn’t change a thing.'

Mighty Mother blogs frankly, entertainingly and openly about life with her family, and offers useful tips, books and products for others that might be in similar situations. She also takes a good look at issues affecting her son and his condition, as here where she discusses the myths surrounding autism, and here where she talks about accepting her son's condition and consequently, who he is.

Take a look, it's enlightening.


To visit the British Mummy Bloggers Ning, click here. (Note: It's called 'Mummy', but we're not fussy. Dads can be members too)



http://mightymother.info/

6 comments:

  1. Oh, well done Potty! Great choice. Marianne's blog is fabulous and really insightful into autism. One of my personal favourites.

    RMx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks RM, glad you agree!

    Marianna, you're very very welcome.

    Dotterel, a pleasure. Like I said in the post, I might moan about it but actually it's great to have a reason to look outside my own blogroll!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Potty Mummy. I came across yr blog thru the British Mummy Blogger. It so happen I just started my own blog a couple of months ago and chose the same blog pattern as yours.
    I enjoyed reading yr blog and will definitely check it again soon.
    Oh! By the way hope you done mind. I'm not even British. I'm from Malaysia, 48 yrs old and a mother of 4 wonderful children.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...