Friday 30 October 2009

What's important when you're 6 years old...

So according to Boy #1, the Potty Family is poor. I was somewhat confused by this, as we may be many things (in transit for starters), but 'poor' is not a word I would usually use to describe us.

I mean, OK, in comparison with many of our swankier Porsche Cayenne-driving, nanny-toting, business-class-travelling neighbours I suppose we couldn't be described as 'rich', not materially, in any case, although frankly they can keep most of those trappings of wealth. Except the business class travel, obviously. And perhaps the 5 bedroom houses. And the account at Lidgates Butchers, definitely. But apart from that, they can keep it all.

But we are not by anyone standard's 'poor' - except, it seems, Boy #1's. Interested to understand the basis for this statement, I questioned him closely. We have somewhere to live. We have plenty of food, and enough clothes to wear. We even go the cinema ocassionally (we went to see Fantastic Mr Fox yesterday. Great film - for adults. A bit boring for the kids though, in my humble opinion...). Anyway. Why did he think we were poor?

"Well, you know."

No, no I don't.

"You do, yes, you know."

No, I really don't.

"Because we never have CHIPS! So we must be poor..."

16 comments:

  1. Poor old chipless Potties. It is the start of a fairy tale I think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aha, you are very poor indeed to not have chips. Chips are for Fridays in the MadHouse (oven ones of cource daaarling)!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Surely he's got it the wrong way round...

    (if watching 7 days on the Breadline is to be believed, chips are compulsory if you are poor)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah Chips - yep we were poor when I was growing up. Bless 'em they do know how to get things in perspective don't they!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh PM, didn't your Dutch husband tell you that you are supposed to eat chips at least once a week, preferably on Saturdays? With applesauce and mayonnaise and steak? That's how it's done here. No wonder boy #1 thinks you're poor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. AH AH well life without chips is a bit like chips without ketchup really...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would have thought not having chips would have made you posh? (Bit like no TV.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brit, one that could start: once upon a time in a chippie far, far away...

    TMH, we DO have chips in the house. I just forget about them most of the time. Bad mother for putting wholewheat pasta higher on my priority list!

    Rachel, my thoughts exactly - but then we're not 6, I guess.

    Tattie, we were poor too! At least until oven chips were invented. Then I do remember a short period when they appeared quite regularly - but not for long.

    Irene, funny enough Husband hasn't commented on that - but then that's probably because he really only wants the frites you can get in Holland, and they're not so easy to come by here.

    PHM, I would just like to say that ketchup definitely DOES appear on the Potty Household menu. Most days, in fact!

    EPM, me too! Sadly that point is lost on Boy #1.

    Paradise - I probably should. Something tells me that in Russia I probably will...

    ReplyDelete
  9. We too were poor. But our poverty took the form of no fizzy drinks for our sons. They had to make do with the very occasional lemonade at Grandma's house. Easter Eggs etc were a rarity as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sharon, when you put it like that I can see the advantages and I may well be agreeing with Boy #1 the next time this comes up. We'll be too poor to afford chocolate, ice-cream and crisps. Apart from mummy's secret stash, of course...

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is so sad....what a 'poor' deprived son you have. ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  12. No chips! Well...there you go! Your pooor things!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Forget chips, you will be wanting to make your spuds into vodka when you reach Moscow lol.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Forget chips, you will be wanting to make your spuds into vodka when you reach Moscow lol.

    ReplyDelete
  15. CM, he would certainly agree with you...

    Lisa, I know. I should have made it clear of course that over here 'chips' = 'fries' for you guys - although I'm sure you already knew that. So does that make it worse or better?

    HB, LOVE the new look! And yes, re: the vodka, that goes without saying, surely!

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...