One of my best girlfriends called today. She moved out of London a while back, so it's rare that we get to catch up without being besieged by husbands and children, but today we managed it. What we should have been discussing was where we are going to meet on a joint family trip in a couple of weeks time. After agreeing that this was a top priority we got distracted however, and our subsequent 15 minute conversation covered, in no particular order:
1. Babies sleeping through the night (her 10 month-old just did for the first time. Gosh, it's good to be out of the baby jungle).
2. Travelling husbands who take their gym kit / swim shorts away with them even though both they and we know the chances of their being used are none.
3. The same husbands refusing to get any help with their training regime from the professionals at their gyms in the form of exercise routines. We decided it must be because that sort of support is just not macho enough. Or that they are scared of that they might have to work harder at it...
4. Why we ourselves are so rubbish at taking the very helpful advice given to us by those same professionals at our gyms. Well, we do actually take it... for about 2 weeks. Then it's just quicker to cut out some of the exercises in order to make the school pick-up in time. And wouldn't you know it, the more difficult exercises are the ones that get dropped. Who'ld have thought it?
5. That Botox is no longer the preposterous idea it once seemed to us as relatively fresh-faced 20 somethings.
6. That beauticians have taken to offering us collagen 'filler' treatments when we go in for a facial. What, you mean I don't have the unlined face of 17 year-old?
7. That Botox is actually a pretty good idea and would probably a lot cheaper where she is.
8. How it's quite ironic that nowadays beauticians offer Cosmetic Enhancements in the wilds of Gloucestershire, but that the same town can't provide a dry-cleaning service that returns your clothes in less than a week.
9. How squeezing into your work clothes after your second baby is a mug's game - but that layering can hide a multitude of sins.
10. That unfortunately layering doesn't really work on the hottest day of the year so far...
11. That we used to have lives on a Friday night - and now we have ironing to do. (Layering is very wasteful on the linen front).
And did we arrange where to meet? Of course not.