Monday 4 January 2010

2009: That was the year...

...that I've been tagged to list highlights from by the fabulous Modern Mother.

Hmmm. Well, it had it's downs as well as ups, but I have to say that overall I think 2009 was a pretty good year for me.

First off, our holiday in Egypt showed me that you can get small boys interested in ancient history if you are prepared to brave claustrophobia under the pyramids, and risk life and limb in taxis without seatbelts, airbags or indeed any sense of caution or knowledge of the highway code on the part of the driver...

Then, in the same month - in fact, in the same post, as it happens (most unlike me to be so economical and use one posts when two would do) - not only was Boy #2 finally potty trained, but I was paid - PAID, I TELL YOU, PAID! - for writing something. A red letter day indeed.

Next up, I would have to say that this one is an unlikely highlight but I'm putting it up here all the same; I found myself lambasted in the comments box of Alpha Mumm for daring to stand up for 'stay at home' mums. Funnily enough, the dismissive and disparaging remarks by various people about those of us who have chosen a different course for a few years, rather than sending me into a decline, simply made me realise how comfortable I feel with my temporary status.

Other highlights? Without getting soppy about it, the constant surprise, amusment, and delight of raising two boys. (Alongside the more than occasional sheer boredom and frustration that go hand in hand with the same thing).

Revisiting my youth with Husband and larging it at U2's Wembly concert, and being fussed over and photographed for the January 2010 issue of Red's when they set up a photo shoot to feature Susanna of a Modern Mother along with myself and 3 other bloggers. (Thanks Susanna for the chance to do that!)

And finally - FINALLY - after what feels like years (but is only months) of prevaricating and procrastinating, deciding to take the plunge and move the family to Russia for a while. It may not sound like a highlight but making that decision was the most exciting thing that we've done in a while. It is also why I'm sitting typing this on my lap in a mostly empty flat after the moving company descended on us like locusts this morning to pack up our life and leave us with dust, cobwebs, and a mattress on the floor until departure-day later this week.

Tally-ho!

Oh yes, and I tag: Sparx, Expat Mum, More than Just a Mother, and Jo Beaufoix. It would be more but I'm using the fact that the wind is whistling around my cold and empty home as exemption from excess blogging tonight...

9 comments:

  1. Ah, now we went and stayed with friends between the movers taking our worldly goods and departure day ;-) But our house was sold and the move permanent.

    Hope all goes well with the journey and that you quickly settle in to your new lives in Russia. Looking forward to your first post as Potska Mama.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the move. I thought it would never come!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You always come up with great stuff I just love your site you are very talented I’ll recommend your site to my friends and family members great job very appreciated..keep it up..

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh bloody hell! you're leaving REALLY soon! you will have access to wifi enabled laptop won't you?? we need gory details...

    good luck!!!!
    Pigx

    ReplyDelete
  5. You managed to pack a lot into one year! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh god, panic, panic. I can barely remember last week never mind the whole darn year.
    And what are you going to call your blog while in Russia? (The Rusky Diaries?)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's quite a year. Good luck with the move. Thought of you today when we ventured outside in the thick snow! I hope you'll continue blogging from Russia. SO many of us will want to hear how it is going.

    ReplyDelete
  8. sounds like a great year, and how awesome to go to Egypt with the kids. Looking forward to posts from Russia!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oops - and I never did this one! Right, must think about it... bad me...

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...