Thursday 28 January 2010

How to assert your individuality when you're 4 years old

Boy #2 continues to impress.

I left him at a playdate this afternoon whilst I went to collect his brother from school. (It has warmed up - a little - but I still figured that if I didn't have to take him out into a minus 18degC day that would be no bad thing...).

When Boy #1 and I arrived to pick Boy #2 up, my friend greeted me at the door.

Me: "How was he?"

She: "Oh, fine, very well behaved. But I have to tell you..."

Me (heart sinking): "What? What did he do?"

She: "He went to the loo. When he came out, I could hear that he hadn't flushed the toilet, so I said to him, 'Honey, did you flush when you finished?' And you know what he said?"

Me: "Ummmmm?"

She: "He said, 'My name's not Honey! It's Boy #2. And - no.'"

Apparently, he did then go back and rectify the situation. And planted a couple of unsolicited large smackeroonies on our host (a gorgeous blonde) as we left.

Being Boy #2, of course, he then rather diluted the charm of that action by continuing on her other cheek with some raspberry kisses....

9 comments:

  1. Play dates? You've got play dates? You've only been there half a minute! Only managed our first play date last week, we've been here for 20 months! I'm seriously impressed. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear! This may not bode well for the teenage years! My boy #2 was (and still is) very quick with a 'prompt and pertinent' reply. Have to keep practising that straight face PM.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I just chime in with Brit in Bosnia and go YOU HAVE A PLAYDATE??? You have been in Moscow for five minutes and you have a PLAYDATE?

    *falls down and has a fit*

    You are doing so well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How did you manage to have FRIENDS and PLAY DATES in such a short time! I am rather impress like the rest :)
    On another note, boys hey?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. actually this whole moscow thing is an exercise in showing us what a marvellous networker you are!!

    Big respec' PottyM!
    Pigx

    ReplyDelete
  6. So she's American, then?

    And I echo Brit in Bosnia and the others. Play dates already! Are you making this all up, and really just sitting in your flat in Kensington?

    ReplyDelete
  7. LIke everyone else said: you are a social butterfly. There I thought you'd left your child with a russian and he was going to return home a fluent speaker and show you how to neck vodka straight from the bottle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brit, it's all down to my networking husband's contacts rather than any special talent of mine...

    Sharon - I know. But it makes my face ache!

    Mwa, see my comment to Brit - and you must know what networkers the Dutch are!

    PHM, well, OK, maybe I WILL take some of the credit myself then. Since more than one person has commented on the playdate thing...

    Pig, yes, it's all down to me. I am an amazing networker. (I'm going to assume you won't have read the responses above that I wrote about my husband being mainly responsible)

    Part Mummy Part Me, that he certainly has.

    Iota, busted. Blast, you found out my deep dark secret. And I thought I had found such a good blogging hook and all. Might as well take those research books on Russia back to the library then... (And she was Dutch, actually - but speaks American English).

    Ah, HOM, no Russian play dates yet - although Boy #1 is working on that with some of the kids in his class (it appears that the apple doesn't fall very from the tree as far as networking goes...)

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...