Saturday 2 January 2010

Do you ever get the feeling your kids are smarter than you?

Am bracing myself for a crazy few days. Now that the Christmas break is well and truly over, it's time for us to face up to the fact that in 5 days time we will be leaving the UK for the forseeable future. Bearing in mind the fact that moving is not something I particularly enjoy, it could be a bumpy ride.

With the first of two sets of movers (one domestic, to store the bulk of our furniture, and one international, to ship a few odds and sods to Russia) coming on Monday, Husband and I are leaving the children with grandparents today to go back and try and impose some kind of order on our possessions. Thankfully we don't actually have to pack anything as that will invalidate our insurance (hurrah for insurance!) but we do have to separate things out so that vital supplies we will need in Moscow don't disappear into storage for the next couple of years. You know, life-saving appliances like a coffee maker, for example...

So we're leaving the Boys behind for a few days. Boy #2 is unconcerned by this; at just under 4 years old he probably doesn't appreciate the level of forthcoming upheaval. Boy #1, as expected, is handling it differently, and is 'unhappy' at being left behind. Suffering from more than just a few last-minute jitters myself, I'm probably overly sympathetic, but that doesn't change what has to be, so behind he must stay...

Normal service is continuing however, as illustrated by the following conversation that took place in the the car a couple of days ago. Boy #1 and Boy #2 were arguing about something or other (I think it was of vital importance and involved battles between Megatron and Optimus Prime). Suddenly...

Boy #2: "You're wrong! You bloody bugger..."

Me: "I beg your pardon?"

Boy #2: "I said, 'bloody bugger'."

Me: "Well, please don't. We don't say that."

Boy #1: "What? Bloody Bugger?"

Me: "Yes. Please don't say it. You don't hear Papa and I say that, so please don't say it yourself."

Boy #1: "Alright. We won't say 'bloody bugger' anymore."

Boy #2: "Yes. No more 'bloody bugger'. Don't say it, Boy #1. No more 'bloody bugger'."

There is silence for a few minutes whilst I try to contain my giggles and maintain the facade of being a responsible parent, until Husband gets into the car.

Boy #1 and #2 in unison: "No more 'bloody bugger', Papa!"

19 comments:

  1. luck with the move. I think I would feel somewhat nervous about moving to Russia too. I live quite close enough to it at 60kms away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Luck for the move. What an exciting new venture.

    My ten month old has started being cheekt, although I had hoped it wouldnt happen for at leat another year or so.

    When screaming in temper I knelt down to him and said (in my most supernanny voice) That is unacceptable behaviour. He looked at me then screamed louder. Much to the amusement of my partner.

    Happy New Year
    Kate
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe you are off so soon! You sound remarkably calm. Very good idea to get small boys out of the way while sorting possessions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah I have idea how tough it really is to move from one place to another. Lots of things are needed to be cared about. But I am of the view that with the help of some professional movers it’s quite simple and easy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I KNOW my children are brighter than me!!! I wish you all the luck in the world with the move and no more Bloody Bugger Mamma

    ReplyDelete
  6. Boy #2 is still my all time favorite.

    Good luck with the move. Did you check on the electricity for your coffeemaker in Russia?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha ha ha. Reminds me of when my cousin at 3, (she's now 28) gleefully caught her mother saying 'birdshit' and was told that was 'different' and not the same as a swear word and ran around for two days saying BIRDSHIT BIRDSHIT BIRDSHIT BIRDSHIT!
    Very hard to keep a straight face, even now, all these years later. Good luck with all the sorting and non packing. I remember it well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. EVERYONE would be worried about the move - you're going to be fine and its going to work out ok but yes, its going to be horribly hard (my parents are expats) but you'll have a wonderful experience that will change you all

    ReplyDelete
  9. It will be fine PM. Bloody bugger-y cold when you get there but fine nonetheless.

    In my experience a packing service is wonderful but they are very fast and efficient so make sure the stuff to go to Russia and that for storage are clearly separated before they start... Don't ask!

    ReplyDelete
  10. They're just being like that to keep your mind of it all. What a hilarious pair! Kids...they know how to make us laugh, even when they don't mean too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the new blog design (probably not that new actually, just that I'm a crap blogger and haven't popped by for a bit).

    Wow - the big move. Bloody bugger.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So soon! Good luck with the move... have no idea what the weather is like in Moscow, but here in Finland it dropped to -20C yesterday outside and was a healthy -10C in our balcony too!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Heather - we need all the luck we can get!

    Kate, Happy New Year to you too! And it sounds like you're going to have your hands full...

    NVG - I can't believe it either, to be honest.

    Thanks MV.

    MH, yes, that's the conclusion I've reached too. Blast it.

    Irene, no we didn't and that's an excellent point.

    Mothership, thanks for the good luck wishes and I bet your cousin loves to be reminded of that?

    MaM, funnily enough it's not the being in Russia that worries me - just the getting to that point.

    Sharon - sounds like you have a story or two to share?

    Lisa, you're so right - and something tells me that they DO know what they're doing...

    Thanks More Than. Bloody Bugger indeed.

    Claire, I just checked the weather in Moscow today. Wish I hadn't. -20degC...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, just wanted to wish you all the best for your move. Once you're on the plane and you start down the runway you'll feel so much more positive. The movers will make remarkably easy work of all your belongings and it will feel as if you're on a strange camping holiday until you are reunited with your things in Russia. I was an expat living in a gold mining community in Fiji and they are the best childhood memories ever!

    ReplyDelete
  15. We did the move without the professionals. And made the mistake of going out for a big night out once the boys had been shipped off to Granny so that we could pack. Packing on a hangover is not a good idea. I'm still sorting it out now, 18 months on. Bloody Bugger.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow can't believe you are off! All the best of luck with the move. I would feel sad to see you go but am presuming that you will still be in my world albeit from a colder, more fur lined perspective?

    Do keep in touch.. West London will miss you..

    Lots of love..

    BM xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good luck with the move.

    Can't wait to read your posts from Russia.

    Safe journey.

    ReplyDelete
  18. OK, that made me laugh - just catching up and hoping the move has gone well...

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...