Friday 8 January 2010

Top Gear

Hi from PM's sister again - still keeping her blog warm for a few days.

I've just received an update on the Russian situation via the Potty Family grapevine. Unfortunately it was from my father rather than my mum, so it was kept to sentences of less than 10 words and sounded like a telegram, so not much detail...'Your sister has arrived. Stop. All well. Stop. House and children fine. Stop. She will call tomorrow. Stop.'

'Oh, thanks, dad. What about the...Oh, you have stopped.'

Anyway, today was quite a red letter day for me, despite the fact that we spent three and a half hours driving the thirty miles to work from Somerset to Bristol. I have discovered that I am a BETTER DRIVER than my husband in these winter conditions. Obviously we haven't discussed this. It is not to be mentioned. Ever.

But it was quite a coup for me to be able to drive out of the (very small) snow drifts several times, after my husband had failed to negotiate the icy road, sat with his head in his hands for a few minutes and then got out to push. I nimbly popped over to the driver's side (well, as nimbly as one can go when dressed in ski socks, snow boots, thermal long johns, ski trousers and a North Face jacket a size too large that makes me look like a ripe raspberry), slipped the car into second gear and away we went.

Husband (as I've been told on a few occasions) has passed his ADVANCED driving test. He is a nervous passenger. However, he didn't appear too nervous in my rear view mirror after I pulled out of the third snow drift, so I think we have both learned a thing or two today, and are better people for it. It's great that, after several years of marriage, we're still growing as a couple. Makes me feel all warm inside. Or perhaps that's because I've left my thermals on?

P.S. Potty Mummy, if you're reading this - I sent The Boy yesterday to call on the old lady down the road and ask if she needed any shopping delivered in these icy conditions. He was not keen and it took several minutes of lectures about 'character building experiences' and comments such as 'It didn't do me and your aunt any harm in the winter of Eighty-One,' to get him out of the door. I have become my parents.

9 comments:

  1. Great to hear they've arrived ok

    I reckon most women are better drivers in these conditions than men - something to do with not hitting the pedals so hard & more patience ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny, my mother mentioned the Winter of 1981 yesterday. I remember it only too well as I was stuck on a train from Bristol to Newcastle, which took 11 hours instead of 7 and I was sitting on my suitcase in the dining section. It was like something from the Blitz.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah yes, that delicious feeling of doing something infinitely better than one's other half - warms the cockles doesn't it!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. (AKA PM's sister...)
    Yes, it does warm the cockles, as it never happens at any other time. Husband is a good all rounder. He does have more patience than me usually, so I'll enjoy this feeling whilst it lasts!

    Expat Mum - am so glad someone else remembers 1981. We had three weeks of extra Christmas holiday as the school boiler broke down. In fact, that used to be the only reason for school closures: heating problems. None of the H&S concerns of icy playgrounds etc!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I laughed so hard, thank you, needed it and love your blog. My son is seven and brings back some wonderful memories for us (I have been telling him, he loves the memories as well).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Chatty Girl. My son is 13, and throughout his life I've made the mistake of telling him about the terrible things my parents made me do...'You're lucky, my mum made us visit the old lady down the road who had a terrible flatulence problem...' Big mistake. Now I've become my mother, I make him do similar random acts of kindness. It's all part of the circle of life, as Elton John once said.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely post! I am very keen on getting children to do Character Strengthening Activities. Often these involve bringing me cups of tea in bed or fetching me the wine, but it is part of helping others I feel. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. (AKA PM's sis)

    Thanks Jo. Tea in bed - like your style. I've just introduced hoovering in to my son's regime. I told him that it will build up his muscles. This parenting thing is turning out OK after all!

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...