Tuesday 15 September 2009

Wardrobe Therapy

OK, first off, I've been at it again. Here's a link to Powder Room Graffiti where I've taken a tongue in cheek look at ways of cohabiting successfully with a partner who's going through the shock of suddenly 'working at home' (yes, that is a euphamism...) following years safe and cosy in the bosom of the corporate world. I wrote this a few months back so it was interesting to re-read it yesterday and see that I stand by everything I wrote in it. (With the exception of the references to excessive chocolate consumption, obviously. My body is a temple, and everything, as you no doubt know...)

Secondly, I'm feeling unaccustomedly perky at this moment in time. Why? Well it's a small thing, but I feel I've finally started to take positive action about our move; I've fulfilled this week's pre-moving vow of going through a cupboard every week and getting rid of anything I don't want to pay good money to take to Russia with us. For which read; crap that has travelled from one house to the next with us over the last 2 or 3 moves, often in boxes unopened from the last time.

I went through my cupboard today, and fought my way through the leaf-litter that lined the bottom of the drawers, undisturbed for eons as I simply wore what sat on the top of it all on a constant repeat cycle. This exercise left me with a couple of questions; how many stretched, faded, deoderant-stained v-necked black t-shirts does a woman need? Or, for that matter, how many faded nursing bras does a 42 year old woman with no intention of having a last gasp pregnancy need? Because, let's be honest, if the unthinkable did happen and I got pregnant (please god, no!), I think that the very least I would do is treat myself to some new nursing bras.

So I got rid - of probably 50% of my wardrobe. I tried on too-tight jeans, too loose t-shirts (not many of those, but a couple, just to help me save face), and just too damn' horrid to even contemplate wearing skirts. I am now Mrs Minimalist, heaven help me.

Amazingly, it feels good. Here's hoping that continues to be the case when I finally arrive in Russia and find I have nothing to wear...

8 comments:

  1. Yes, I keep doing the old "What-Not-to-Wear chuck out and then forget to buy anything new.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Think of it as a cleansing of the soul. You burden will be lightened. You will feel fancy free and foot loose. And you will do some shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did the same before we moved. But so far all I've bought in America is two pairs of knickers and a swimsuit! Somehow all the expenses of moving (and there have been many) have made me feel it would be profligate to go buying clothes as well. However, I intend to remedy that when winter comes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I regularly play the 'keep or chuck' game at home. Surprisingly invigorating. Especially when it involves other people's clothes as well :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did the same last Thursday. Liberating, isn't it? Welll done you for keeping going with the clear out, it can be soul destroying.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So long as you replace everything you bin with a few items of thermal underwear, you'll be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. EPM, annoying, isn't it?

    Irene, good point. Although I may have to do the shopping before I leave since doing it in Russia would mean taking out a second AND a third mortgage.

    NVG, what, you mean that I might have to buy new winter clothes and won't be able to make do with my threadbare old ski stuff all the time?

    LCM, the Boys' clothes are slated for when all my stuff is sorted (not long now). And then? Well, Husband and his fraying collars better watch out...

    HB, have you got that September spring cleaning bug too?

    Iota, hahahahahahaha... Although of course I imgaine that living where you do, that's exactly how you played it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love doing wardrobe purges. They make me feel virtuous and new. Shame I also have been forgetting to buy new stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...