Sunday 6 September 2009

British Blogging Mummy of the Week

There's nothing quite like dragging yourself out of bed early on a Sunday morning, pulling on your gym clothes and sorting breakfast for the family before you leave, only to have your three year old son look at you incredulously - as if the last year of thrice weekly visits to the house of pain never happened - and ask, in an astonished tone of voice:

"What? Are you actually going to the gym?"

Henceforth I may well call him Mr Motivator...

All of which is longhand for announcing that I wasn't out on the tiles yesterday evening (if I had been, the chances of my breaking my 3 week abstention from exercise this morning would have been zilch, obviously), and instead spent a while surfing through the British Mummy Bloggers Ning list of members.

My, but there are some good looking blogs out there. I am feeling very frumpy and aged with my lack of gorgeous graphics and hot or pastel tones. Forget shopping for an autumn wardrobe or working out my aging bod, I think I need to focus on toning up The Potty Diaries pronto. In the meantime though, I want to point you towards the British Blogging Mummy of the Week.

Now, I'm an urbanite through and through. Brought up in the country, the chances of my ever returning to live there are slim and none (and I believe that Slim just left town, boom boom), but every now and again I do hanker after green fields, open vistas, and a lack of air traffic. So when I come across a blog that says...

'After accidentally living in Brisbane for eight years, Folly and her Other Half upped sticks from the city and did the tree-change thing, moving to five acres in the beautiful north of Tasmania...'

and follows it up with:

'Two years on the family have some livestock, a place in the local community and a veggie patch. They have some pointless alpacas, three guinea fowl, numerous chooks and a sheep dog but no sheep....'

it does tend to catch my attention, especially when it's beautifully written and entertaining like Apple Island Life. I particularly enjoyed Folly's description of her huband's bond with her mother and how she fears that it may even reach into their bedroom...

To check out the British Mummy Bloggers Ning, click here. (Note: It's called 'Mummy', but Dads can be members too)

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be heading there right away, sounds interesting. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh WOW, this is so clever - you have the most gorgeous site here and I had to stop by to leave this comment for you – and to say hello of course ! Your posts are creative and original and you have interesting pictures. It's all perfect ! Thank you for sharing your site and best wishes....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Irene, a pleasure as ever.

    Chic, I hope you enjoy it.

    Elise, I'm assuming your compliments are meant for the blog I recommended rather than mine? It's the reference to 'interesting pictures' - which I don't use, as whole - that gives it away...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds great, I'll go over and take a look.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As instructed I'm now a fully paid up memebr ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi PM, thanks for your very kind comments about my blog. It was very exciting to get four new comments and new followers, and I think even My Other Half may be quietly impressed, although he's keeping that to Himself. Nice to be part of the BM blogsphere.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks PM. Read the knitting post - very funny...made me laugh out loud!

    ReplyDelete
  9. RS, yes, I think it would be up your street, actually.

    DG, glad you liked it!

    FS, you're very welcome.

    MT, me too - although I may never be able to look at a fuzzy aran sweater again without thinking of unmentionable hairs...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Drat, my blog reader is filling up way too quickly. I wish blogs writers I love would stop recommending other blogs which I will now also love.

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...