Sunday 27 September 2009

British Mummy Blogger of the Week

There's something about an Indian summer. We're having one right now in London; or at least, we've had sunshine and clear skies plus 21 degC plus for the last week, and if you're at all familiar with the weather in the UK, you'll agree that a week of any of that (not necessarily together, either), is enough to qualify.

Of course, living in a basement flat does mean that perhaps we don't get to enjoy quite as much of the sunshine as most people, but we're making the most of the weather with trips to the riverbank and Battersea Park Zoo. That was last weekend, mind you. By the time this weekend rolled around we were laissez faire about the weather. "Sun?" we said. "Hah! We get that all the time. Let's make the most of it and go to the... cinema. What better to way to spend a cheery Saturday morning than to climb on the tube (again, note the absence of light), and on reaching our destination walk around the corner and into a dark cavernous space for a couple of hours..."

Hmm.

Not quite getting into the spirit of things, I agree. But in our defence, we went to see Thomas the Thank Engine 'Hero of the Rails', a thoroughly enjoyable new DVD release from Hit and in which - gasp! - the engines actually speak. (You probably need to have a preschooler in the house to understand the magnitude of this development). It was good. We enjoyed it. Buy it for your pre-schoolers as a Christmas pressie. As a mark of how enthralling he found it, Boy #2 didn't need to get up to go to the loo once during the hour long showing (which is more than could be said for his mother).

Apparantly there were even a few 'slebs to look at - although I'm rubbish at knowing who they are, and always find myself thinking 'You know, I'm sure I've met you before - or is it just that you were on the Bill once?' And, in my usual seamless link, let's move from 'slebs (because of course, on BMB we are all 'slebs...) onto this week's British Mummy Blogger of the Week.

Nikki at Clinically Fed Up writes of herself:

'Shacked-up mother of 3, part-time social policy and psychology student, part-time everything else a shacked-up mother of 3 is required to do under some law nobody told me about. I would have killed someone for this blog in the 1980s, now I barely have time to wash AND dress in the morning. If I have posted something it means the family weren’t fed hot food that day...'

It takes a lot to get me thinking about actually making pickle (what else is Mr Sainsbury for, I ask myself, than to supply me with roasted tomato pickle), but she's managed it. (Oh, and thanks Nikki, for helping me to cross the Magimix food processor off my potential list of pre-Russia purchases). And her description of finding buried treasure with a very wide aperture was very entertaining...

To check out the British Mummy Bloggers Ning, click here. (Note: It's called 'Mummy', but Dads can be members too)

3 comments:

  1. I always thought the fun part about having kids was being able to go to the movies so much and eat popcorn, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see how often Miss M needs the toilet as a measure of how good a film is too. Mad.
    And I love Nikki's profile. :D

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...