Tuesday 3 May 2011

Where, oh where, have they gone?

There are some important questions that need answering, in my humble opinion as a mum.

What happens to all the missing socks? Hmm? I know they're 'out there', somewhere, but where is 'there' exactly? Because every time I go back to the UK I stock up on socks for my sons and every time, within 2 months, on average 20% of them have gone. Pffft! Disappeared! What are the Boys doing with them? Eating them? Using them as stuffing for the insides of their beloved soft toys? Trading them for Bakugans when my back is turned? (This last is possible, I suppose...)

Where do the Boys water bottle tops go? I went to considerable trouble to source non-BPA-containing water bottles and hey presto, the lid have disappeared. So now we're back to using disposable plastic water bottles. Not that I'm worried, to be honest; the day those water bottles come home from school with even one sip drunk from them has yet to dawn. (Although of course there are water fountains in the school, which I suppose are far more fun to drink from, what the opportunities for soaking yourself, your friends and the surrounding floor and everything). And yet still I laboriously fill the bottles each morning and send them out in the hope my sons will re-hydrate at some point during the day...

Where do the library books go? Actually, I know the answer to this one; our much-valued cleaner is of the 'if I put your mess into piles it all looks much tidier' persuasion. This is fine generally, but does mean that the kid's library books (which, no matter how often I try to corral them into one space, miraculously scatter like mercury spilt from a smashed thermometer the moment my back is turned) are randomly mixed with piles of other books, newspapers and important papers on her visits. Admittedly, the piles do look tidier, but it gets a little expensive when you have to finally come clean with the school librarian and admit that 'The Price of Victory', last sighted before Christmas, has gone awol indefinitely and yes, here is $20 to cover it...

Were do the lego figurine heads go to? Now I know, I shouldn't be bothered by this one, but as shown by this post and this one, I have an unhealthy level of interested in lego figurines. To say that I spent nearly 2 hours searching for GT for this post would not be overstating it.

Where do the hours go? Actually, scratch that. I know the answer, it's staring me - and you - in the face.


What have you inexplicably lost recently?

8 comments:

  1. I too would like to know where all the socks go. I must buy on avaqrage 50 pairs of socks a school term. Yet I never receive any to wash and buy the end of the turn I cannot find a single matching pair.

    It has to be moths, big sock eating moths!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I know the answer to the sock question at my house, but you don't have a dog, so that's no help....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scissors! I went into the Queenager's room the other day (my first mistake) and found two pairs in her bathroom and one on her bedside table. Then found my dressmaking scissors (argh!) in the man-child's bedroom and I still can't find the kitchen scissors.
    That, and tape measures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The socks go into the sock black hole, which is sucking our universe in slowly. It started with the dinosaurs, then it moved on to the socks. Next, who knows? Politicians? Mobile phones?

    ReplyDelete
  5. HC, moths, definitely...

    MsC, no, no dog. It's a mystery.

    EPM, god, I dread the day when scissors start disappearing. This is based mainly on the fact that at 8 years old I cut a hole in the dining room curtains, just to test a new pair out...

    Iota, car keys? Driving licenses? I think you might be onto something.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh, you must be living in our house. yes to all the above. Water bottles are supposed to be more ecological, but not in my house where I am constantly buying more because the tops never fit the bottoms

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sippy cups and dummies. It's why I pick them up randomly on the street. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you never heard of the sock monster??? We used to have one in our last house. But here in Singapore we don't wear socks, so we no longer have that problem!

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...