Wednesday 25 May 2011

The Gallery; My Back Yard

This post is for Tara's Gallery (click here to see all the other entries) and the theme this week is 'My Backyard'.

I'm not going to show you a picture of our garden; we live in a compound so technically I suppose we don't have one of our own. Instead I'm going to show you these, all of which were taken not too far from where we live and which I think illustrate some of the extremes of living in Russia...

All of these photos were taken on one 2 1/2 hour walk...

















Yes, that was a submarine sitting innocently in a reservoir...


















Yes, that is a picture of an icon pinned randomly to a tree in the forest...



















Yes, those are bottles of water that people are filling at a spring to take home and drink, in what is not exactly the cleanest city on earth...

10 comments:

  1. What an interesting tour of Russia. Fantastic post and photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blimey...makes us brits look like PANSIES! ;-) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks - it is great to see something so different. Only problem is that it gives me waderlust!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks - it is great to see something so different. Only problem is that it gives me waderlust!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very funny, PM!!! But here is the big question: is the Holy spring the same water source as the sub??

    I thought of you the other day in my way-too-overpriced food market: saw Green& Black chocs and remembered how very kind you were to share yours with me.!! Back 16/6/2011.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oohhh which do i prefer icons on random trees or subs in reseviors...only thing is how DO you get a sub in a resevoir surely they should be all at sea???!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those pictures are amazing. I lived abroad - in Japan - for two years and totally miss the randomness of a different culture. Love the submarine. X

    ReplyDelete
  8. The sub is very cool. Were the boys impressed?
    I am curious about the spring: I assume it's supposed to have some sort of curative powers...maybe they're all taking bottles home to sprinkle or pour over themselves instead of drinking it...

    ReplyDelete
  9. LI, thankyou

    Spud - you have no idea...

    Sarah, make sure that passport is up to date!

    Jennifer, if you asked the locals they will tell you it has been filtered by the gravel and shale banks under Moscow and comes up from 1000's of feet below (hence the constant 6degC). Personally though, I wouldn't be surprised if water had met Sub somewhere along the line... Hope to see you soon!

    TW, well, no seas around here. Lots of canals and rivers (big ones). Or maybe they airlifted it?

    Mumofalltrades: You can visit it, too; it's a museum.

    PR Mummy, thankyou

    MsC, no boys, they weren't on this walk. And as for drinking the water, yes, they actually do.

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...