Thursday 20 May 2010

Conversations with Boy #1.

Boy #1: "I don't have any girlfriends, mama."

Me: " Really?" (I know this is not true. But I wait for whatever is coming next...)

Boy #1: "Well, I do. I did have two. But now I only have one."

Me: "How come?"

Boy #1: "Well, H and Z were my girlfriends. But now I only have H. Not Z."

Me: "OK. What happened?"

Boy #1: "I had to cancel Z. She shouted at me, because I didn't believe she was a vampire."

Me: "Right. Well, does she know she's been cancelled?"

Boy #1: "Oh no. I didn't tell her. I don't want to hurt her feelings."

I mutter something non-committal. Whilst I don't want him to get into the habit of not being open and honest with his friends, he is only 6, after all. And frankly? If there were a list of people not to upset, a Kindergarten-age vampire has to be pretty high up there...


11 comments:

  1. That's fabulous. I love that. Your son is a very kind little boy. And quite charming with the ladies.

    A few weeks ago, my 5-yo daughter told me she had a boyfriend and was planning to marry him. I ran into the boy's mother and she told me that her son agreed to marry my daughter and then she (my daughter) could be his new mummy.
    It's actually pretty spot on though, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Along similar lines to NVH above, Mr Man became 'engaged' at the tender age of 4 to his girlfriend with whom he was in nursery. They are now in class together at school and the wedding has been called off more times than I care to recall.

    Seems his fiancee is particularly fussy but still very keen.

    I have just told the mother that as long as the dowry comes up to LCM standards, all is fine with me.

    Fortunately she is (still) a good friend. I haven't put demands in writing yet so that may all change.

    LCM x

    ReplyDelete
  3. ROFL! How thoughtful of him :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. He'll be a heartbreaker, that one. Mine haven't really discovered girls yet. I'm just waiting for that moment....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah...you have a boy with a heart!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the way he 'cancelled' her, like a credit card that was getting him into debt. Can't blame the young man for wanting to avoid vampires though

    ReplyDelete
  7. How old is Boy # 1 again?????
    The Vampire thing is lethally out of control.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We've got the reverse here. Youngest daughter (age 5) has loads of boyfriends, and she loves it. I hate to know what life will be like in 10 years time...

    ReplyDelete
  9. NVH, scarily apt, I agree!

    LCM, I suggest you get a lawyer to run it up to make it water-tight.

    Livi, well, I am trying to bring him up properly...

    NVG, make that situation - unaware of them - last as long as possible, is my advice.

    Mummeeee, I know. Thank heavens for it.

    HOM, that's a very good point - the wrong girlfriend can definitely cost you!

    Jennifer - he's 6. Scary, huh?

    Modern, I would say that life will be... expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Best not to tell her... knowing children that age, she'll have been uncancelled before long.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This post made me giggle.

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...