Monday 15 February 2010

Congratulations, and celebrations...

This will be the speediest of speedy posts, but today is something of a red letter day so I hope you'll forgive that. Today, I have:
  • driven a car in heavy snow on untreated roads (for the first time)
  • in an automatic car
  • on the wrong side of the road (at least, 'wrong' for us Brits)
  • in a road system that I don't yet properly understand
  • using a sat nav that shows the road marked in an alphabet I can't yet read
  • in a city where most expats start dialing the men in white coats if you tell them you're going to drive yourself

Not to mention having:
  • argued the feminist point about whether stay at home mums 'work' (I doubt I need to tell you which side of the argument I was on) with my Russian teacher
  • and stayed awake and focused throughout said Russian lesson
and last but by no means least, celebrated my 43rd birthday.

If I do say so myself, Happy Birthday to Me, indeed!

15 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Potty! And a HUGE congrats on driving in the snow on the right hand side. I'm super impressed. None of this easing yourself in gently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. happy birthday! what an eventful day. the first time I drove on the roads out here I crashed into a big ditch and hubby had to come and fetch me and pull the car out with the tractor. I'd say you did a damn sight better than me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. happy birthday! After all of that I feel you deserve something shiny, expensive and possibly something fizzy to go along with it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday! You're doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done PM! That's quite some feat!

    Happy Birthday! Hope there was/is some really seriously good cake supplied along with lots of other 'essential' goodies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday, and huge congratulations! Sounds like a real achievement. I am still terrified of driving on the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday! Am trying to convince my husband that the only way I'm going to learn to drive is with an automatic, but he's having none of it! lol. I'll get it yet :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday - hope you are having a great day, with lots of pressies :) & well done for driving in the snow! You wouldnt catch me doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. HUGE Happy Birthday and ohmygod you stayed awake throughout a WHOLE leeson acheivements indeed....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy birthday !

    Hope you had a quieter end to the day

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Happy Birthday Potty.
    Big sloppy kisses all round x

    ReplyDelete
  12. How old??? Just kidding - you're younger than me. Just remember, with the automatic, keep your left foot tucked as far under the seat as possible. One of the first times I drove an automatic, my left foot hit the pedal just as the car sounded like it needed to go up into 2nd gear. Unfortunately that pedal was the brake and I nearly broke my rib-cage with the impact!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday, Fellow Aquarian. Super well done on the driving front. Hope you got shiny pressies and lots of love and laughter.

    ReplyDelete
  14. happy belated birthday wishes, pm! and thank you for continuing to post!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Birthday to YOU, you impressive woman you.

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...