Tuesday 5 May 2020

Lockdown; too many hats and fattening the curves

Yesterday, Husband asked me to do a very simple financial task.  No problem, I thought.  Should take me 15 minutes, tops.

When I sat down to do it however, it seemed overwhelming.  The information I needed wasn't where it should have been, and the prospect of going through lists of emails was enough to push me to the brink of tears.  Why, I wondered, was this easy job so bloody difficult?  It shouldn't be; I should have breezed through it - but I couldn't face it.

I shut my laptop in disgust and went outside to try and gather my thoughts.  As I did so my phone rang; a friend was calling in to check on me, and she couldn't have done so at a better time.  She asked if I was OK and for a change I gave the real answer: not really.

As I explained why I suddenly realised that it wasn't about the poxy task.  What had pushed me to the brink were some of the same issues many parents are facing in Lockdown, starting with - but not limited to - home-schooling recalcitrant teens.  Sounds quite straight-forward, doesn't it?  But that requires a host of skills over and above those we would normally need if our children were in full-time education: teacher (I knew that was a difficult job but my god...), internet provider, tech expert, interpreter, police officer, authoritative parent, design & technology expert, 10.00am pt instructor.

Then there are the other, non-school based tasks that have become important during isolation...

Mediator.  Between my sons.  Between my sons and their father.  Between my sons and their teachers.  Between the dog and the cats next door.

Cheerleader.  Cheerer-upper, putter-on of a brave face.

Chief cook, bottle-washer, organiser of shopping lists, stock checker & rotator.

Laundry supervisor.  Domestic engineer & household tasks time-tabler.

And, finally, let's not forget, nutrition expert - though not for right now; it's more of a planning role at present.  I mean, diet in Lockdown?  Take a hike - this is hard enough already.  So whilst some are getting through this situation fuelled by wine, gin, beer, vodka and so on, I personally have chosen chocolate.  Consequently once this is all over, if I don't want to have to go out and buy and entire new set of clothes, I will also be trying to flatten the curves I have been working so hard on fattening over the Lockdown period.

It could take a while.


For more Lockdown musings, check here

6 comments:

  1. Haha:) I enjoyed reading this honest account of wearing too many hats while fattening the curve:) In stark contrast with some rampant sugarcoating (more calories there:) https://helpincoronatimes.wordpress.com/2020/04/23/what-really-annoys-me-is-that/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou! I loved your post (and the other ones in your blog). Of now to consume more calories (as son as my boys' backs are turned and I can access my chocolate hiding place without it being discovered by the gannets)

      Delete
  2. My heart goes out to parents in the position you are in. It's tough, I'm sure. Keep that chocolate stash full - in times like this you do what you have to do. Sending hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gigi. What I forgot to include, of course, was that I also need to find my hat for 'chocolate stash concealer' - my family are way to good at sniffing it out and saving me from myself by eating it, dammit!

      Delete
  3. Now this is exactly what I love about your writing. You jump across the line between honest and thoughtful appraisal into funny, and back again. How do you do that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah - thankyou Antonia. You are lovely. x

      Delete

Go on - you know you want to...