Thursday 7 February 2013

When you know you're doing something right...

After school today, Boy #2 and I were waiting for his brother to arrive before heading home.  One of Boy #2's classmates was also there, waiting to be collected.  They were shooting the breeze about how Classmate had just been given the i-phone 5 by his mum (note: this is not impossible, even for a 6 year old, in Russia) when Boy #1 arrived.

Boy #2 to his brother: "HIIIIII."

Classmate:  "Who's that?"

Boy #2:  "That's my brother, Boy #1."

Classmate:  "Oh.  I thought he was your friend."

Boy #2:  "He is my friend."

Classmate:  "But I thought he was your brother?"

Boy #2:  "He is my brother."

Classmate:  "But you said he was your friend?"

Boy #2:  "He's my brother, and my friend."


Obviously, they were still niggling each other and wailing loving remarks like 'don't look at me!' all the way home.  But it was glimpse, and that's enough for now...

6 comments:

  1. Oh yes. Definitely well done mama.
    I got a good one at the weekend. The teen rocker had done some kind of performance at school which the Little Guy and all his 9 year old friends saw. I asked "Did it make you look cool?" and he replied - (get this) -
    "He always makes me look cool". .... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This issue is very pertinent for us at the moment. In the autumn, we'll have to decide whether boy 2, on going up to the senior school, goes into the same house as boy 1, or a different one. Quite a big deal, as (being a boarding school) they spend a lot of time in the house - it's very much their hub. Not sure whether to give them closeness and shared experiences, or space to flourish not in each other's shadows (more of an issue for younger than older one).

    If we ask them, they say they want to be in the same house, but then they don't see the obvious problems, eg at the moment, if boy 2 says hello to boy 1 during the course of the school day, boy 1 pretends he hasn't seen him. Acknowledgement of sibling in front of friends, just way too embarrassing.

    So what's your secret?! I think we missed that chapter in the parents' manual.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's really lovely. Yes, definitely well done mum. From my teen step-daughter's friends we've heard 'you're going out with your sisters tonight? You're lucky, my sister hates me.'Hard to imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just hope a whole host of other people were listening too!!

    Vanessa
    http://vanessajaneholburn.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't that just the sort of thing you hoped for when you decided to have a 2nd child? What a sweet sentiment from #1. You're definitely doing it right.

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...