Sunday 16 January 2011

The difference between... Men & Women (Again)

We were at a party to celebrate a friend's 50th birthday in Moscow last night. It was a 60's themed event, which basically meant you could wear whatever you wanted as long as it included boots (for the women) and some kind of hippy themed accessory for the men. There were plenty of wigs, too, ranging from bubble cut to long and straggly, and some killer handbags as well.

The party was in somebody's home, so dancing was impromptu and in a confined space, but nonetheless impressive for that; at one point a guest (a somewhat matronly mid 50's, wearing a short dress, thick black tights, the requisite boots and a blonde bubble-cut wig) decided that she would perform a spontaneous forward roll on the dance floor.

As you do.

Now, here's where that difference I referred to in the title of this post comes in.

I saw a woman doing a forward roll on the dance floor. Admittedly, I also saw her bottom, and the fact that as she finished her gymnastic display she lost her wig, but overall I was impressed with her enthusiasm and commitment. (And, if I'm honest, the fact that she still could or even wanted to do a forward roll in public...)

The guy I was talking to? (In fact, all the guys standing nearby). They just saw her arse.

(Cue heavy sigh).

9 comments:

  1. What? You've never done a forward roll on a dance floor *cough*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, PM, your Moscow parties sound wild.....

    Haven't seen anyone doing forward rolls round here (apart from at Tumbling Tots, that is).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Men aren't from Mars, they're from a whole other galaxy. Note to self: must practice forward rolls in private in preparation for next dance party

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura, have to say no - although (when well lubricated enough, which sadly I wasn't last night due to driving duty, I do a mean Mick Jagger impersonation. But something tells me you might have guessed that about me already...

    Iota, yes indeed.

    NVG, really? Thought it was all the rage on Long Island!

    MM - well that's one way of putting it!

    HOM - all the best people are doing it, apparently...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope there wasn't a thong involved...*shakes head to remove image of big arse in thong doing forward roll*

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am that woman! Well, not that actual one, obviously. But I did a caterpillar across the floor at a wedding about 10 years ago and the girls loved it. The boys just shook their heads. I thought it was pity but perhaps it was my arse.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Had a fleeting second of panic till I remembered I don't actually live in Moscow so it couldn't have been me.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pig, thank god for opaque tights is all I can see (so no, no thong in evidence!)

    KM, a caterpillar? Fantastic!

    EPM perhaps she was just channelling your spirit?

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...