Monday 12 July 2010

British Mummy Blogger of the Week

A speedy update this morning. A post on this week's British Mummy Blogger of the Week puts me in mind of something I did when I was a young and callow student, and really should have known better...

My boyfriend of the time (previously referred to as Sporty Boy on this blog) was just about to move into a new house with some of his friends. Bearing mind that we were all students, you can imagine the standard of accommodation I'm talking about; mould on the shower curtains, rats in the bins outside, slugs on the kitchen floor. Basically, it was the pits. My girlfriends and I, two of whom I lived with and who's boyfriends were also part of this new house set-up (so far, so 'Friends') in Disgusting-on-Thames, held a war cabinet.

There was no way, we decided, that we were going to spend any time in a conditions like those. But that meant our boyfriends would then spend all their time at ours, and that wasn't going to fly either; a flat that just about held 4 of us would not reasonably hold 8. What to do?

Well, there was only one thing to do. We offered to clean the new house from top to bottom. On a one-off basis, for a fee (I believe it was the princely sum of £20 each - which 20-odd years ago was actually not so bad...). Of course these boys jumped at the chance, and as they moved all their kit and caboodle in, we put pegs on our noses and set to.

Dear internet, it was disgusting - and I say that having had a job cleaning caravans after they had been occupied by groups of fishermen, as a teenager. It's Monday so I won't make you dry-heave into your morning coffee, but I'm sure you can imagine the filth we had to deal with. The most horrific part, however? Dealing with the smug look on our boyfriends faces when they told us they would pay us 'tomorrow'...

This week's BMB of the Week would, I'm sure, never do anything as foolish as willingly clean out a student loo. Unless, of course, the student in question happened to be her son. Ladybird World Mother writes of herself:

'Am a Mother. To four children. Am a Wife. To one Husband. Live a chaotic, task-filled life, where nothing is ever tidy enough, clean enough or paid enough. Despite that, there are moments of great contentment. I try to write about the things in my life that make me spit out my tea. And any biscuit lurking. I LOVE this life. But sometimes I yearn for a clean and tidy one.'

Check out her posts about student loos and chicken-lovin' rabbits if you need to raise a smile this - or any other - morning...

For the British Mummy Bloggers Ning click here (Note; it says 'mummy', but dads can be members too...)


6 comments:

  1. Love LWM - and she is as much a gem in real life as she is in her blog postings.

    Great choice.

    LCM x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love her - she is hilarious. Her post about blue string emerging from her son's nether regions was something you'll never read elsewhere! Fab choice. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, bless your heart!!! Thrilled to BITS. AND to have LCM and NWBI say such nice things too. My cup overfloweth. Rather like that delightful lav in son's digs. Eurrgghh. Loved your post today... fancy offering to clean out student accomodation... oh, yes, I did too, eh. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. As one of your previous BMBotW picks, I know how thrilling this is! Off to visit your latest now...x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks LWM - glad you approve

    NWBI, I haven't found that one yet - but will be off to check it out!

    LWM, don't mention it, I'm glad to have found your blog. And I think your experience of student loo cleaning was less of an embarrassment than mine!

    KM, hope you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that is sooooo gross. Not the blogger...the story. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...