Monday 29 March 2010

We're OK - you're OK...

I remember back in the 1980's and 1990's, living in London, that friends and family would call just to check I was OK whenever any kind of terrorist attack happened there. Never mind that - like Motherhood, the Final Frontier said in an e-mail she sent me this morning - I was living in a city of 8 million people and the chances of my being affected by any of them were extremely remote; people still felt the urge to check. I'm grateful that they took the time to reach out, really I am. I have to admit that I had forgotten all about that aspect of living in a temporarily besieged city when we heard this morning by e-mail of the attacks this morning on the Moscow Metro.

So apologies for my not having posted earlier to let anyone concerned know that not only we were not directly affected, but that we're not even in Russia this week (hence the radio silence on the blog). We're skiing, in France, thank god, far from terrorist bombs and the carnage that no doubt took place in those stations this morning.

More of our adventures on the slopes tomorrow, but in the meantime thanks again to everyone who has e-mailed and left a comment on my last post to check that we're OK; I really appreciate the sentiment that led you to get in touch.

20 comments:

  1. Was literally just logging on for the express purpose of checking you were ok (even though I thought it unlikely you'd be anywhere near the metro at 8 am) so thank you for letting us know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto - heard it on the news and popped in to see if you were affected. So glad you are ok, but so sad for those that aren't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking of you when driving home tonight. Madness, as I can't even picture what you look like, but still, glad you are ok!

    ReplyDelete
  4. phew...glad to hear you & yours are all ok :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought of you as soon as I heard the news. I am glad you and your family are okay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I´m very slow witted and did not even put two and two together. You live in a fairytale Moscow and that happened in another Moscow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pleased you're ok, I was thinking about you as well this morning. But I know what it's like being in London when something happens and everyone calls so I didn't message you. I figured you'd blog when you could :)

    Btw don't worry about your header image - Blogger are having issues http://tinyurl.com/ybp8gcu

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought of you too, I guess living through the IRA just does that to you

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's so good to read that. You're not that far from our thoughts at all despite the distance. Friends were tweeting about you this morning and wondering if you were okay. So pleased you are. The world isn't such a big place after all xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you are ok. Have to admit you were on my mind today too.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Was glad to get your email - tweeted your safety all over the interwebs, and laughed to think of how like my mother I've become. I remember during one horrible attack in the 80's I didn't even know it had happened (no phone, no telly, big art school stoner) and my poor mother was CRAZED with worry as nobody could get in touch with me for days but I was perfectly fine eating crisps and shagging my boyfriend.
    Oh. Was that an overshare?
    Relieved you're safe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well that's all ok then ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy you're all safe.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  14. phew. i saw it on the news late last night and thought of you. i am pleased to hear you are fine.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I heard it in the news. I am glad that you are okay! But there are also some who are not. So sad.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank goodness for that. You were the first person I thought of when I heard the news.
    Enjoy the ski-ing....x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad no one in your family was affected, have to admit to being concerned when we'd not heard from you in a few days!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very glad to hear you were out of the fray! Terrible business

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks so much everyone for checking in on me - as you will no doubt have noticed we're all fine, thank heavens. Will keep you updated on how this has changed daily life in Moscow (if at all) once we get back next week...

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...