Tuesday 22 January 2008

Suckered

So. Boy#1 has succumbed to some nasty virus which resulted in a sick day for him today. Last night was a 'difficult time' for all involved (i.e. all of us except Boy #2 who calmly slept through the whole affair), in much the same way that it could be said Mr Brown has had a 'difficult time' since he finally got the job he wanted last June. That is, surrounded by unpleasant brown smelly stuff with no paddle in sight...

Following our tumultuous night, I decided that it was best to let Boy #1 sleep rather than go into nursery this morning. Besides, I think I mentioned the heavy-handed mobsters waiting outside the Boy's school with their 'search and destroy' approach to all who enter for infectious diseases or nasty colds, and I didn't fancy a repeat of the Oh la la! incident. So Boy #2 went trotting off sans brother with his father, proudly carrying his little green school bag and turning to wave and blow kisses before he got into the car (cue collective aaaah....).

The moment the door shut behind them, Boy #1 opened his eyes. I should have realised then that something was up.

Me: 'How do you feel, darling?'

Boy #1: 'My tummy huuuuurrrrts.'

Me: 'Do you need a poo again?' (Please, no)

Boy #1: 'Noooooo.' (Breaking down into little whimpers)

Me: 'Oh dear... Shall we read a story?'

Boy #1: 'Nooooooooo...'(more snuffles)

Me: 'Perhaps you might feel better if you had some water.'

Boy #1: 'Yes. And then, I know what might make my tummy feel alright.'

Me: 'What would that be, sweetie?'

Boy #1: 'Chocolate. And television.'


I don't know where he gets it from.


Note - I should say here that he really was ill last night. Just not, it seems, this morning. Or since...

8 comments:

  1. Oh dear.. tumultuous nights with unwell children... I'm glad those occasions are fewer and further between now....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny how chocolate and televisioin hits the spot - works for grown women too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mine still pull that kind of thing. But it's not cute anymore. Two of them are teenagers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The miraculous recovery thing. Why can't I ever get the miraculous recovery. Only children seem blessed with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tracey - think I've been lucky with standard childhood illnesses, so unfortunately when they do strike I'm ill-prepared, hence the moaning!

    E-P Mum, I couldn't agree more. I can't have chocolate in the house!

    Kaycie, blast. I was hoping they'll grow out of it. Though why should they? I haven't...

    Ped, I know!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Moan away - I'm exactly the same. Been very lucky, they haven't been sick much, so I don't know how to cope when they are! Does that make sense?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband uses that excuse, oh and I need some beer, that makes the pain go away, just off for a quick pint. He does it at least 6 times a year, disgraceful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tracey, yes it does make sense. I understand it, anyway!

    Frog, only 6?

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...