Tuesday 8 November 2011

Things that make you go; hmmmm....

An acquaintance of mine was talking recently about how, having written his Christmas list at the end of September, her son announced last week that it was now out of date and he had changed everything on it. Everything. Which, if you are as poorly organised as I am, not doing your present shopping until a week before the big day, would be no biggie, but this lady is slightly better sorted than me.

So much better sorted, in fact, that the September list presents have already been purchased and are awaiting collection at various relatives houses.

You will be pleased to know, Reader, that I did not revel in this proof that my slightly haphazard approach to the Big C is a good thing. No sirree. Not in the slightest. But that was mainly because I was too busy trying to keep my face expression-free as she continued with the story to tell me how she was now frantically trying to buy everything on the new list.

I mean, surely a quiet word with her son about how Santa already put the order in with the elves for the previous list - or at least some of it - wouldn't have gone amiss? Just because they ask for it, should kids automatically get it?

I've already written - here - about my approach to presents for the Boys. (Basically, whatever they want as long it comes in lots of pieces that can be wrapped separately for maximum gift-wrap-rippage opportunities, and as long the total budget comes in at less than £70- £100). But how far would you go to accommodate your children's Christmas wishes?

10 comments:

  1. Oh Crap I must be the nastiest mother on the planet...mine do not always get what they ask for and sometimes they don't get it at all... I try to get some things and then say Father Christmas always consults with the parents to make sure the gifts he gives are appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That child is lucky I'm not his mother.
    Mine certainly don't get all they ask for; I've never bought into the idea that the purpose of Christmas is to give children everything their hearts desire, even if it means destroying a family's financial solvency...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My cleaning lady was distraught at what she was going to buy her boys for Christmas because they already had every conceivable toy. I thought that meant they must be awfully spoiled. I did not commiserate with her. She obviously had a luxury problem on her hands.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear - am another meanie Mummy - mine get totally spoilt by everyone else so we tend to buy one big thing for them to share... this year they are getting a wooden sledge (which hopefully means no snow this winter) and perhaps a few books but honestly they won't notice what we do or don't get them

    ReplyDelete
  5. The boys have been writing their Christmas lists (with the help of a Toys R Us catalogue they found). I've told them that Santa might get them something on the list, but certainly not everything. They seemed to accept that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm always out of date. We took some young relatives what i thought were very hip Paul Frank t-shirts and they disgustedly left them right there on the table. They had turned into punks since our last meeting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's not nice to give them everything on their list. Sets them up for disappointment later in life and also removes the element of surprise and fails to teach them to find pleasure in things they did not know they could enjoy. I do tend to buy more for them than I intend to in the end, getting swept up in overexcitement as the day draws closer, that still ends up with one 'big' present each, a few books and a stocking full of sweets, an orange and practical items like socks, soap, toothbrushes etc. They get a huge kick out of these things and we don't go broke.

    ReplyDelete
  8. However, I do spend pretty much every day from August onward telling them "Put it on your list for Santa" whenever they ask me for something and I refuse to buy it. They NEVER remember.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never knew that I had to buy EVERYTHING on the list! :|

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do what MTFF does and say 'put it on the list' every time the girls demand anything all year long - by the time it comes to Christmas they have distilled their wishes a bit (usually) but still I would never get everything on the list. And definitely not twice!

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...