Sunday 13 December 2009

British Mummy Blogger of the Week

Boy #1: "Mummy, have you got the songs?" (Trans; please put The Jungle Book on YouTube)

Me: "No, no I haven't."

Boy #1: "Can you get them?"

Me: "Well, not right now. I'm doing something. (trying to write the British Mummy Blogger of the Week post, if you must know). Maybe later."

(30 seconds pass. Overcome with guilt at my neglectful parenting, I cave. Foolish girl).

Me: "5 minutes, OK?"

Boy #1: "OK."

He stands behind me, breathing heavily in my ear.

Boy #1: "I'm just going to stand here and watch you do that."

Me: "What, type?"

Boy #1: "Yes."

Silence, apart from me tapping away.

Boy #1: "I won't talk."

I tap away.

Boy #1: "I'll just watch you."

Boy #2 appears around the edge of the door: "What are you doing?"

Oh, for pete's sake... Let's just get on with it.


This week's British Mummy Blogger of the week, Not Waving But Ironing writes of her blog:

'It's about what on earth I'm going to do with the rest of my life now the kids are finally at school. I've already made an inventory of the contents of my chest freezer. I've cleaned the grouting in the shower with an old toothbrush. I'd love other mums in a similar situation to visit my blog and share their time-wasting, existence-justifying ideas with me.'

And if you're wondering what the signs of having let yourself go are, click here. But be warned - whatever you do, don't look at your hands afterwards....

To check out the British Mummy Bloggers Ning, click here. (Note: It's called 'Mummy', but Dads can be members too.

8 comments:

  1. Little boys breathing heavily in your ear and not talking can be the most nerve wrecking thing. It's like Chinese torture for Moms. It gives you nervous tics that can last a life time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very worthy winner! I have been reading "Not waving but ironing" over the last couple of weeks and I enjoy her style of writing. We seem to be helping each other get to grips with the technology involved in this blogging lark too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the concept of "I'll just watch... I won't talk..." Really helps you to concentrate, no?!
    Great choice for blogger of the week - thank you :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. As ever, an awesome blogger. I know that I should use these blogger of the week pointers to up my game...one day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have so many great new bloggers at BMB -- nice choice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, thank you! I am really chuffed. I’m aware that compared to many of the thoughtful, witty blogs on this site, mine doesn’t have the most dynamic of themes – an exciting day for me is when I use ‘Floral Symphony’ bleach rather than ‘Original’ to clean the loo – so thanks for the vote of confidence. PS. Thanks, especially, to Trish at the hilarious ‘Mum’s gone to…’ for visiting me first. [Trish thinks: ‘Enough already! You’re Mummy Blogger of the Week, you haven’t won a bloody Oscar!].

    ReplyDelete
  7. My Little Guy does that all the time, which is funny and infuriating at the same time. Yesterday however, I told him that for every word he uttered, he would have to wait another minute. It took a few seconds for it to sink in but it worked!!! Mwa ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Irene, oh so true. What's that behind you?

    Trish, she's great, isn't she?

    Rachel, is there anything more distracting?

    DG, you and me both!

    Thanks Susanna.

    NWBI, it was a pleasure. (And you'll find no mention here of 'most effusive acceptance speech...)

    EPM, I've tried that but it doesn't seem to work. Blast it.

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...