Monday 28 March 2011

Monday morning common-sense quiz

Question:

What do you do when your Husband suggests that rather than buying a new and expensive ink cartridge for the printer, you have a shot at using the ink refilling thingy that he purchased some time ago and which says - on the packaging, so it must be true - 'Save money and simple'?

Answer:

Suggest that if it is such a good idea, he should do it himself.


If you do not take the suggested course of action, ensure you have plenty of solvent available to clean the resulting stains off the counter top and your hands and nails.

And if no solvent is available, prepare to scrub everything - including yourself - with Cif.

Then; moisturise, moisturise, moisturise.

Throw the now defunct cartridge, refilling thingy, and various stained cloths, into the bin, muttering not so quietly under your breath about Husbands and money saving ideas.*

Write a blog-post to get some of the irritation out of your system (obviously re-casting yourself as Innocent Wife who was simply humouring her Husband but who knew all along this was going to be a Bad Idea).**

Finally, climb in the car and go out to buy yourself a new printer cartridge (and some solvent), which is what you now wish you had done in the first place.


The moral of this story?

There is a reason why people don't refill their ink cartridges themselves. Consider yourselves warned.


* Do not under any circumstances call said Husband in his office to solicit sympathy and perhaps even an apology for having had the temerity to make such a patently ridiculous suggestion in the first place. He will be in the middle of being Busy and Important and the chances are his amusement at your predicament will simply make you even testier...

** Under no circumstances ask yourself why you went along with this money-saving plan. No profit in that. You will only become even crosser...

7 comments:

  1. Sadly, I can imagine this scenario playing out at the Fancy House. If I didn't have a Fancy Therapist to teach me to stand up for myself, I might even go along with it...but that is actually more expensive than just buying the dumb cartridge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why do they do this? Mine is just the same - it's his Scottishness that's to blame.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ISF - I KNEW there was a reason to keep up with the therapy!

    Trish - did you know the Dutch are the Scots of Europe?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a timely warning as I've just shelled out £70 in printer in in less than a month and have been eyeing up these kits. Will forget I ever had such a stupid idea and try the non branded inks, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just plead ignorance when it comes to the printer because I'm too scared to change the cartridge......I always have to make myself look really surprised when he discovers it's run out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband is the opposite - he'd rather pay more and skip the inconvenience, "his hourly rate is too expensive" yada, yada. It'd be me trying to put the ink into the catridge myself - and then I'd have to get it all cleaned up before he came home to say "Told you so".

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jacq, step away from the refill pack - definitely!

    NVG, good call but sadly not a ploy that works with my Husband. Dammit.

    EPM, please tell me you're not complaining about that?

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...