Sunday 29 August 2010

Ringing of the School Bell

Boy #2 starts school tomorrow. Tomorrow? How did that happen? I just went to check on him in bed and he seems so small when he's lying down that I can barely make him out under the duvet. How can it be that he's ready to make first his foray into the big bad world when a too-hot risotto can still reduce my hungry boy to frustrated tears, and when after his bath I can bundle him up in a towel and carry him into the bedroom to find his pyjamas?

And yet. He's totally ready for it.

He has an answer for everything, does Mr Independant, and loves nothing more than to mix it up with his older bigger brother just for the hell of it if he feels things are getting a little boring. He plans to be a pizza-delivering train driver when he grows up (well, it's a niche, I suppose), and when he can, helps out with what he considers 'manly' tasks around the place whilst adopting a deep, matter of fact tone of voice. He likes to make conversation whilst on the loo when making a delivery (cough) during which he will make pronouncements on trains, planes, and the state of world in general. (I call being on the receiving end of this conversation 'being in the presence of Deep Thought'...)

He may get himself into trouble frequently but he knows the value of a prompt apology; after an unfortunate incident on holiday at his grandparents involving boistrous play, some floor-length curtains and a curtain rail that ended up where it shouldn't have, he was quick to own-up, quick to say sorry, and then just as quick to forget it and get excited over the subsequent opportunities that this accident afforded for diy. There was plenty of standing around with hands on hips, and speaking in a deep matter of fact voice whilst passing Grandad various tools to replace the rail. My father said wistfully to me afterwards; "He doesn't mess about, Boy #2, does he? Says sorry, draws a line under it - 'that's life, you know grandad' - and moves on. And expects you to, too..."

We looked at each other, simultaneously realising that that's a skill a lot of adults have yet to acquire.

All in all, I think Boy #2 will be OK when he starts school tomorrow.

I, on the other hand...

14 comments:

  1. Ooh I felt a little emotional reading this, then I suddenly panicked and wondered if my daughter wa supposed to be at school tomorrow and I'd completely forgotten. Doh! As you say, he's ready. It won't be as easy for you of course. I recommend keeping yourseld busier than usual for the day. See you on twitter? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck for tomorrow hun! I don't envy you at all. God knows what I'm going to be like when my little boy starts school. Just reading your post made my tummy turn. I'll be thinking of you, let us know how he (AND YOU!) get on xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I remember when he was born!! The house will, no doubt, be a little quiet. He'll be fine - and so will you. Make sure you're there early to pick him up though - he'll have a lot to tell you (perhaps like how he had to 'look after' boy #1 in the playground!!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. A fish out of water29 August 2010 at 23:39

    Sorry, not sure what happened to name in my comment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooh, stiff upper lip there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have all kinds of "firsts" happening over here too. The twins take to them like the proverbial duck. I, on the other hand, keep getting reduced to tears and crying over old photos.

    Growing up should come with a fast forward and rewind button.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whenever you talk about Boy #2 I feel proud of him, as if I'm related to him or something. Maybe we have a common ancestor. A Dutch one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel for you. I had a huge wobble when my daughter started last year & she was already 5! good luck x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel for you. I had a huge wobble when my daughter started last year & she was already 5! good luck x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Was in the same boat last year, and found the whole thing fraught with different emotions. Cutting those apron strings, meeting all those new parents, trying to be organised so son wouldn't always be the last one in/picked up. Good luck - and treat yourself to a coffee and cake on the way home.

    ReplyDelete
  11. oooh hope it went well - it sounds so nerve wracking - I've still got 12 months before Ben starts and I'm already dreading it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a heck of a skill, I don't know many adults that have acquired that yet!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A good skill maybe, but must be infuriating sometimes.
    My 2 1/2 yr old started school yesterday, and today informed me she was taking sandwiches in and staying for lunch. Which she did. She's all big.

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...