Sunday 1 August 2010

British Mummy Blogger of the Week

It's exhausting, this holiday malarky. No matter how good a time you're having, I have to ask; is 'holiday' the best word to describe a trip away that takes military levels of organisation and which sometimes feels just like being at home - only without the convenience of a working washing machine and internet connection?

On top of that you also have to take responsibility for the packing and repacking of your stuff, the kid's stuff and - if you're particularly unlucky / saintly (delete as appropriate) - your significant other's stuff too. Small wonder that often trying to buy, and then find space in your luggage for, all the blockbusting summer novels that you promised yourself you're going to have the chance to read on your 'relaxing' summer holiday, gets prioritised down to a last minute dash to the bookshop in Duty Free...

For those who have small children, are not holidaying with benevolent grandparents attached as doting babysitters, and who have forgotten what it is to sit in the sun with a good book, I'm talking about the books you read in the time you have to yourself.

You know, on your relaxing summer holiday? Time, that is, when you're not making trips to the local supermarket hunting for non-sugar rich breakfast cereal whilst sneaking a croissant or two yourself (it won't show under the control-top swimsuit, surely?), tidying away explosions of beach kit scattered like shrapnel immediately inside the front door, drying out towels and swim suits stiff with salt or chlorine, hunting for the kid's sun lotion, applying said sun lotion, persuading them that wearing their hat in 35degC IS a good idea (I said it IS a good idea, well I don't care if you don't like it; you're wearing it anyway, and stand STILL please whilst I put this factor 50 on you or you'll get it... all over my skirt), and so on.

Which is why I'm being extremely lazy and rather than trawling the members list of British Mummy Bloggers to find you something new to read this week, I thought I would instead gift you (yes, I like that word; 'gift'. It implies great sacrifice on my part rather than simply pulling out a post I wrote earlier for this very occasion) with a full list of ALL the British Mummy Bloggers to-date.

Who needs to pick up a chic-lit novel the width and weight of a telephone directory, when you have the following list? With one click-through you can have access to writing far better than you'll find on most airport bestsellers' lists...


May 2009










February 2010

The Rubbish Diet


April 2010

Paparazzi Mum


For the British Mummy Bloggers Ning, click here. (Note; it's called 'mummy', but dads can be members too...)

9 comments:

  1. I remember reading on holiday... and for more than five minutes between going to bed and zonking out.

    (Ehm - you seem to have forgotten my blog http://mwaonline.blogspot.com/ for October 2009.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. MWA, oh happy days... (and sorry for the ommission; I've changed it now, and promise it won't happen again!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I've often said of camping holidays, same s**t, different spot.... especially when you're the mama.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gutted - you forgot me too *blows nose loudly into tissue* since July 2009.

    And I am 'only' just one year old!

    *snivels*

    LCM x

    ReplyDelete
  5. AIW, oh no, I'm sorry, but with my husband? A camping trip could NEVER be called a holiday....

    LCM - so sorry. Did I really miss you out?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can foresee many lovely pots of tea while I read thru these.
    Thanks for including mine
    http://planetoutreach-asd.blogspot.com/
    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  8. The story of my life!! hahahaha

    No camping this year due to a tired mum that can´t handle a week of laundry and unpacking! :/

    We did go to Denmark to visit the promised (lego)land and I am still recovering hahaha :)

    Thanks for the list! Im looking forward to going through it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would like to exchange links with your site potty-diaries.blogspot.com
    Is this possible?

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...