The Gallery #4: 'Me'

>> Wednesday, 24 March 2010















Tara's prompt for this week's Gallery is 'Me'. This is a tricky one as I have a standing agreement with my husband that I will not post photos of any of our faces, so I spent the last few days thinking of clever ways to photograph the' inner Potty Mummy' without actually showing what I look like. I hatched plans that included crumpled Green & Black's wrappers, books with bent spines, the computer, children's toys, and a Russian dictionary, but frankly since I'm not a professional photographer everything just came out looking like the contents of my handbag had been upended on a table, dust and all...

Instead, here is a photo of my right hand, which at a stretch could be said to representative of me; it's not the most beautiful you've ever seen ('builder's hands' run in our family), nor is it the ugliest (at least, I hope not), but it works.

I've used it to type more words than I care to think about, it's the hand with which I sign my name, the one I prefer when holding my children's hands, the one I use to wipe their noses and bottoms, which I use to support them when I'm pushing them along on bikes and scooters, and the one which I automatically use when presenting my credit card to pay for stuff.

It's the one I hold my passport in when we travel, which I use to key in my cashpoint number, and with which I scratch my head or rub my eyes when I'm perplexed.

It's the one I doodle with in boring meetings, and the one I use to tap along to music when I'm listening to Xfm and pretending to be down with the kids.

It's the one I use to dial my husband's mobile phone number when he's travelling and I've got the con at home, and the one I use to put on my make-up and fluff up my hair.

In short, it's an essential part of me.

(And I do hope other people's pictures are more interesting....)

8 comments:

TheMadHouse 24 March 2010 at 12:18  

I really like the representiation and for me this week it has been fun seeing what everyone comes up with,

I love what is means to you.

Livi 24 March 2010 at 12:44  

I thought that was a very interesting photo!
I never thought about all the things I do with my right hand before, but you're right, it is a very important part of you.
Wonderful post.

Iota 24 March 2010 at 14:54  

I'm feeling sorry for your exlcuded unloved left hand. You're going to have to do a post about her soon, or she might go on strike.

Great writing.

Brighton Mum-Teenage Angst 24 March 2010 at 16:01  

I really love the concept behind your photo...very interesting!

Chelle 24 March 2010 at 16:24  

It's not just about the photo, your combination of what it means to you and the photo together make it a lovely post!

Potty Mummy 24 March 2010 at 18:19  

MadHouse, well thankyou. Especially after having looked at your photo which I thought was amazing.

Thanks Livi, much appreciated!

Thanks Iota, and you're probably right. I should probably get her her own manicure or something. But then the right hand would get jealous and- oh, it's too exhausting.

Thanks Brighton Mum. I had to come up with something!

Chelle, thankyou - and one of these days I will unmask myself. Just not yet...

jumblyMummy 24 March 2010 at 21:46  

A great post. I think I could probably do without my left hand altogether... the right id definitely the boss!

sharon 25 March 2010 at 01:28  

Clever thinking PM!

Just one question, does it know what your left hand gets up to when you aren't looking?

Post a Comment

Go on - you know you want to...

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Customised by Grayson Technology

Back to TOP