Sunday 7 March 2010

British Mummy Blogger of the Week

Not so long ago I met my new neighbour. She's mid-50's, Russian, and speaks a little English. Not a lot of English, it's true, but certainly more than I speak Russian. She is hoping that with me next door her command of English might improve, and that we can spend some time together occasionally so we can both work on our language skills.

This is fine. This is good, I tell her, I would love to do that. She gets very excited by that prospect, and starts planning a trip out. But not just any trip out. No, this is a trip to the 7th circle of hell for your average repressed English woman. Because apparently, her work has use of one of the finest banya's in town - and I now have a standing invitation to join her and her work colleagues to go and sweat in a steamy room, drinking tea, and beating myself with a bunch of birch twigs before jumping into an ice cold bath any second or fourth Wednesday of the month that I feel like it.

Starkers. Obviously. Funnily enough, I haven't booked it in yet. (I know, I know I should. In my own words, 'it's an adventure!' and all that. But there are limits to my adventuresome-ness, and I'm afraid that you can take the girl out of the convent...)

Sitting naked in a room of complete strangers chatting to each other in a different language, letting it all hang out, and periodically batting myself with a bunch of twigs? That's a situation that that this week's British Mummy Blogger of the Week - braver than me, it goes without saying - has personal experience of. Heather at Notes from Lapland writes (and vlogs) about life with her family in the far north and says of herself:

'My name is Heather, stay at home mum to The Girl (born 2006) and The Boy (born 2008), writer and poop scooper extraordinaire. Originally from Rochdale, Lancashire (UK) I now live 50kms outside Kuusamo, in northern Finland. I'll let you into a little secret. I don't really live in Lapland. I live about 20kms south of it, but Notes From Nearly Lapland didn't have quite the same ring to it, some how. Besides which, what's 20kms between friends, right?'

For the British Mummy Bloggers Ning, click here. (Note: It's called 'Mummy', but Dads can be members too).

12 comments:

  1. oh get yourself in there - it's all quite fun once you get used to it. as tiff drink or two before hand may help!

    and thank you making me mummy blogger of the week, That is so lovely! Am quite overcome - i know, i know, i need to get out more...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great choice! She makes me laugh with some great topics for blog posts, and then chucks in a few hot topics that gets everyone talking.
    And who can't resist that lovely reindeer's bum on the header of her blog?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh great choice. She's fab.

    And, like Heather says, just go. Think of the stories. You only need to do it once and you can dine out on the tale for years to come. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done to Heather, a great choice with a great blog.

    Russian! I'd be totally stuck for words.

    CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great choice - I read this post during the wk -its bloody hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way to go Heather! Well desreved!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What is it with you people and getting naked in saunas ???

    Loving it loving it (& Heather's post was the funniest thing I have read in ages)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was going to leave a comment saying "you should read Notes from Lapland on this very subject", and then got to the bit about Notes from Lapland.

    Give it a go, I say!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, go on! Just think what blog fodder it will make!

    (Good choice as well!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heather, yes, alcohol. That would definitely help...

    Trish, yes, rather like her post today, no?

    Brit, hmmm. And have you done this?

    CJ, well, if they talk about numbers or the weather - very slowly - I might manage. Otherwise, I would be screwed!

    Lastofthemojitos, thanks for visiting and commenting, and I totally agree.

    Susie - what you said.

    M-A-M, I'm sure I don't know WHAT you mean!

    Iota - great minds think alike then!

    Mwa, it would, but... Oh, I know! YOU can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fab choice...I love Heather's blog and her great new Secret Post Club x

    ReplyDelete
  12. sorry. too funny. don't mean to laugh: but talk about breaking ice. husband was obliged to engage in similar once: business trip in finland. he drank alot of vodka. he found that helped. more than tea i think? xx

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...