Wednesday 9 May 2012

On being reminded of how to find the lighter side of life


As I mentioned in my last post, my parents are staying with us.  This is the perfect way of being reminded that stuff you think of as normal and not particularly funny is, in fact, not everybody's normal and actually, is pretty amusing.  Well, to people who don't live with small boys every day, anyway.

This evening was a case in point; we skyped with my sister, and it became clear that my parents had been in touch with her by text and email during their visit here, sharing stories they thought were funny and which I just considered everyday happenings.  The following story - which I was a part of - was told back to me, and blow me if it didn't seem a great deal funnier in the retelling than it had whilst I was in the middle of it*.

It was bathtime.  I was trying - unsuccessfully - to get my children to come into the bathroom and get undressed.  After asking them reasonably a couple of times, I yelled that they should come into the bathroom nowRightNOW, and amazingly they did.  As they walked in I wondered aloud why it was that they had ignored me the first few times and only responded when I raised my voice, to which Boy #2 answered "Because we're pooh-heads, I suppose."

Well.

I guess at least no-one's going to suggest that they heard that insult from me...


*Which is, of course, precisely why I started The Potty Diaries nearly 5 years ago - to find the funny side in stuff that would otherwise drive me crazy...

2 comments:

  1. Good thought. Yes, stories re-told back are funnier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly that. Laugh? We nearly did.

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...