Thursday 19 April 2012

Things I never imagined I would say at dinner time... Or; Chow Time at the OK Corral...


  • For the last time, it is not a race.
  • And that is not a gun.
  • It's a test tube containing a mechanised bug.
  • I know you know that.
  • No, it is not a gun in disguise.
  • Stop pointing the gun at your brother.
  • No, I know it's not a gun.
  • Because you keep using it as one.
  • But I know it's not a gun.
  • Just because your brother is pointing a gun - sorry, hex bug in a test tube - at you, doesn't mean you can do the same thing back.
  • I know it's not a gun.
  • It's like having dinner during 'Shoot out at the OK Corral' here.
  • No, it's not a real place.
  • It's the name of a black and white film.
  • Yes, they did make black and white films once.
  • Really.
  • A very very very very long time ago.
  • No, I was not alive then.
  • And I did not live in a corral.
  • Because a corral is a place you keep horses.
  • And OK was the name of the ranch, not a ranking of how good it was.
  • A ranch is a farm in America, where cowboys work.
  • And 'The OK Corral' was where they had a famous gun fight - or at least, there was a film about it.
  • Put the gun down.
  • No, I know it's not a gun...

Repeat to fade...


With apologies to Millenium Mum who was the supreme master of this blogging genre in her 'Things I have said...' posts. She stopped blogging some time ago, but I still miss her lists.





9 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had a rather frustrating time. It was maybe a wrong move to mention the OK Corral. It did trouble the waters. I have a feeling that this conversation went on longer than you mention here. xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you been camping out in my house again? Especially the bit about the hex bug in a tube doubling up as a gun... definitely had that conversation before!

    Got to love boys

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! (sorry, not laughing AT you..really)This reminds me of a terrible moment in the car when the boys were small and squabbling over a purchase one of them had just made. I suddenly found myself driving down the road, shrieking, "I will.not.tell.you.again. STOP touching your brother's Walrus!"

    It was around that time that I started keeping a running list of 'Things I never thought I'd say as a parent.' The boys (now 15 and 18) loved this and still fondly reminisce about some of the better ones...

    (Oh, when we visited the OK corral when we lived in Arizona, neither of the boys were impressed in the least. No idea why not.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mine are more like circuitous conversations where the 8 year old forgets what his original question was and then asks me why I'm telling him something! It's like living in a parallel universe sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. But there's a great chapter title for your autobiography here, isn't there?

    Hexbugs at the OK Corral.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Irene, it was funny actually - sorry you got the wrong end of the stick (must try harder to convey humour!)

    PWN, is there ANYTHING that doesn't double up as a gun? Anything?

    MsC, I think there's a post in there, isn't there?

    EPM, ah yes, living with boys...

    Iota - you saw through my evil plan...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how I love conversations with kids :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like conversations that I have with my 2 year old niece. Good thing is that because she is 2 I can just give her a toy, tell her a joke or something and she totally forgets what she was talking about :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It just sounds like dinner round at mine, expect mine also involves a lot of food crunching and shouting!

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...