Thursday 15 April 2010

Being played by a 6 year-old...

I bet you have one thing - just one thing - to do with your appearance that you rarely leave the house without doing. Well, actually I bet that pre-children you had a whole list of things you never left the house without doing, but that once they arrived that list was slowly but surely whittled down to just one essential thing that it takes a fairly serious set of circumstances for you to ignore. It might be putting on lippy, running a comb through your hair, checking your shoulders for snot or puke brooches (the latest thing darling, didn't you know?), or inspecting your teeth for bits of spinach or similar.

For me, the one thing that has survived the onslaught that is becoming a mother is putting on eyeliner and mascara. Hence this morning's conversation...


Boy #1: "What are you doing?"

Me: "Putting on eyeliner. What do you think? Does it look OK?"

Boy #1: "Hmmm.... Can I see it?" (The eyeliner)

I hand it to him. He holds it to the light, admires the sparkly sheen - I was always a sucker for a bit of subtle glimmer - assesses it thoroughly, and hands it back.

Me: "So, I've only got it on one eye right now. Can you tell which one?"

Boy #1: "Well, this eye (pointing to my left, unmade up eye), looks pretty."

Me: "OK."

Boy #2: "But this eye (pointing to my made-up eye), looks really pretty..."


Oh, he'll go far, this boy...

10 comments:

  1. They learn at a young age, Maxi has started to tell me I look georgous and smell even better - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a clever chap, he'll d well. My daughter told me hair look pretty when I came back form the hairdressers the other day, which made me really happy until I realised that really she just meant it wasn't messy for a change ;)

    The one thing i always do before going out? Erm...put on shoes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've got him well trained!
    Unfortunately fir me, the closest TB comes is telling me I look fat right at the worst possible moment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah..bless. I was putting my eyeliner on the other morning (THE thing I do before leaving the house) and the Little Guy's hand flew up to his eyes. He looked like he was in real pain and then said "Oooh, it makes my eyes water when you do that!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. MH, you clearly have him very well trained!

    Sharon, I like to think so - but I may be biased...

    Heather, it's sad when one has those sort of realisations isn't it?

    GS, well that has to stop, clearly. Perhaps you should introduce some kind of 'treats for compliments' deal? (Or would that not be the best model for future behaviour? Sod it - do we care?)

    Iota - just like his father.

    EPM, long may that reaction continue - at least then he won't start borrowing your favourite colours...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Clever chap - he's better at that than Mr Muddling already

    A child genius !

    ReplyDelete
  7. He could be our next PM! What a good lad, just what nother's sorely need a good bit of morale boosting.
    (Sorry lots of comments as I am having a wonderful catch up!!!)

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...