Thursday 14 August 2008

You know you're doing a good job when...

Picture the scene.

Boys #1 and #2, saying goodbye to a friend who had kindly looked after them whilst I went to the gym to glow prettily for a hour...

Note: this glow was induced not by exercise, but by terror whilst using a fearsome new machine at the gym. It is supposedly a wonder treatment for wobbly tummies, but is in reality a torturous version of a treadmill, with not one but two moving conveyor belts. Yep, one for each foot, (and they both tilt up and down as you walk on them - not simultaneously or in the same direction, oh no, that would be easy), either or both of which - given my lack of natural coordination - will throw me off in an untidy messy heap on the floor if I take my eyes off it's 'treadles' for more than a moment.

...Boy #1 reached up to hug the friend as she left. She used to be his nanny, so he has known her since he was 6 months old. She is rather better endowed than I. You know what's coming, don't you? As I watched in hysterical horror, instead of pecking her on the cheek as normal, he plunged his face into her bosoms - and blew a tremendous raspberry.

Thank heavens for small mercies. At least he did it now, when after she left we could have a sensible conversation about appropriate and inappropriate behaviour - and not at her wedding, where he's a part of the bridal party in a few weeks time...

15 comments:

  1. He he he! How did you keep your face straight to talk to him? Keep a close eye on him at the wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's simply hilarious! Hope you managed to keep a straight face when you conducted 'the discussion'. !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. But did he listen? Oh the things our wee ones do to amuse, entertain and embarrass us.

    I hope he learned and does not do a repeat performance once there is an audience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE that story! I bet your face was an absolute picture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant! Hard to ignore that one. As long as he grows out of that before he turns 18 (in public anyway).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Learning really early isn't he?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh that is so funny!

    I can't even imagine how I would react!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it, to think they were so irresistible to him now.He is definitely going to be a boob man.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ladies, one and all, I know what you want to ask, so I'm just going to come straight out and say it; yes, he was a breastfed baby (though not entirely).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well it's all learned behaviour isn't it? What on earth does his father do in public?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Think of all the people he'd save from the boredom of yet another perfect wedding video! It would be the most talked about wedding of the decade - and not for the brides dress!
    If it happens, take a deep breath, stand back... and catch the moment for youtube! t.x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Is it because of that straight forward Dutch heritage? (Dare I say that? We have a few Dutch friends as well...)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful.. god bless him.

    Re the treadmill, good for you. I know the one but am far too terrified to try it out. Is it hard?

    BM x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi EPM - well, his father doesn't do that - or at least, not whilst I'm around...

    KP, please, god, no...

    HT, you're right, the Dutch are straightforward, sometimes to a fault, but I've yet to witness one of them do that...

    HI BM, not it's not hard - as long as you hold on. Which apparantly takes away most of the effectiveness (meant to improve core stability etc etc). If you don't hold on - yes, then it' almost impossible. Don't even think of doing it if you want to watch tv at the same time...

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...