Monday 28 April 2008

Mary, Mary, quite contrary...

Boy #1 was in a bad mood this morning. Everything was a problem; waking up, being given his milk in an open rather than closed cup, getting dressed, you name it. And to cap it all, he rediscovered a scratch on the palm of one hand that was the result of having a splinter removed yesterday afternoon. Oh, the pain! The drama! He wasn't ever going to be able to eat again! He wouldn't be able to hold a pencil! 'Really, mama, I think I had better stay home from school today...'

(I would like to say at this point that the scratch in question was merely that - a scratch. Just in case you think I am Spartan Mummy and being too harsh on my beloved son...)

Having had just about as much moaning as I could take I administered Savlon and told him to get on with it, which was of course like a red rag to a bull. Things calmed down - a little - over breakfast, when he discovered that amazingly, he was still able to hold a spoon through the excruciating pain. However, when he was instructed to put on his shoes, all hell broke loose.

He couldn't do it.

He needed help.

How was he supposed to do up his shoes with the scratch on his palm?

I sat there, weathering the storm, giving Boy #2 - stoically good tempered, as ever - his breakfast. Suddenly, through the maelstrom of complaints, there came a small voice.

Boy #2: "Mama?"

Me: "Yes?"

Boy #2: "Boy #1. Help. Boy #1. Shoe. Help."

Me: "You think I should help Boy #1 put his shoes on?"

Boy #2: "Esss..."

Boy #1: "No! I can do it! No!"

And promptly did.


What it is to have a two year old who is a master of reverse psychology.

14 comments:

  1. Ha! That's great! All it takes is suggesting a man can't do it by themselves huh?

    Love it.

    BTW, changed the spelling of tattletale...my tattletale brother corrected me and told me it was spelled wrong. I totally thought it looked funny, but just not smart enough to figure it out! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy #1 is growing into a real man isn't he? :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi J's Mommy, you are so right. As for the the tattletale thing; over here we call it being a 'tell-tale' or 'tittle-tattle' - so I didn't notice the spelling mistake in the first place!

    Aims, yes indeedy...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go Boy #2! He saw that Mommy needed help and came to your rescue. Well done kid.

    There's an award over at my place for you...

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooo, he's sharp! #2 i mean. How heartless you are about the scratch...
    Pigx

    ReplyDelete
  6. why is my response 'aaahh, scratches need kisses' and then to my own daughter lying face down in the mud with a spike through her knee, 'get up and stop making such a fuss. it's only another quarter of a mile to the co-op'. i think it's the effect of other people's children; i actually find some of them quite cute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Carolyn, thanks for the award, I'm honoured and will be over to pick it up asap!

    Pig, he is sharp. Very. Scarily so, in fact. I think he is actually already running this family (though of course in a benevolent manner...). And yes, clearly I AM heartless. (But in my defence, Husband was telling me just the other day not to be such a push-over and that I pay too much attention to every bump - so I can't be that bad...)

    Grit, I knew when I posted that hearts would be going out to my poor itty little boy. But here's the thing. He'd had the kisses. Not once, not twice, but a multitude of times. And there comes a moment - especially on a Monday morning - when calm reason just doesn't cut it any more and you have to just get on with things. (Well, there does for me, anyway...)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My son used to ostentatiously wear one trouser leg at thigh height whenever he'd received a knee injury (ie a slight graze).
    He still does this occasionally (aged 9).
    But when he spent half a day on the beach, with his class, and dropped a rock on his foot - he came home with a massive swollen foot that he hadn't told the teacher about, because -
    "I didn't want him to stop us from building a dam in the stream."

    ReplyDelete
  9. Classic all round. Kids are so funny. Where would we be without them for the entertainment factor?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Boy #2 sounds like a blessing, as long as he uses his powers for good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think he should phone childline, you are so cruel and heartless Potty Mummy.
    By the way, he's going to be a man and needs to practise....oh the brave thing (sniff!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks BM - for making me feel a little less guilty about my temporary suspension on THE SCRATCH... Although essentially, you're telling me it's just going to get worse, aren't you?

    Tracey, not sure. Would probably be forced to go out and spend all my money on food, shoes, alcohol and holidays. (not in that order). God, what an empty life...

    Hi Ped, yes, he is a blessing. Definitely. Apart from when he's lying on the kitchen floor having a tantrum because dinner is taking too long, of course.

    Frog, you're right, I forgot about that! (See video at the bottom of the previous post for a proper illustration of what that can mean...)

    ReplyDelete
  13. They are just hell bent on not being told what to do by the other, aren't they. Nothing is more maddening than a sibling with a good suggestion.
    And do not feel you need to apologise for senseless brutality meted out to your children. Any parent worth their salt knows it is strictly necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Milla, the sibling through stays true throughout life, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...