Tuesday 4 March 2008

Married bliss

Him (sitting in the drivers' seat of our car, looking expectant): 'Can I have the key, please?'

Me (handing my house and car key over): 'Oh, of course. Sorry.'

A couple of minutes pass, broken only by demands from the back seat for juice,biscuits, the steering wheel, and arguments over dinosaurs.

Me: 'Did you ever find your car key, by the way?' (Knowing of course that he hadn't).

Him: 'No. It will turn up.'

Me: 'Maybe you should think about keeping it on your key ring with all your other keys. Rather than separate, when it's easier to lose.'

Him: 'Don't be silly. Of course it's not easier to lose when it's on it's own.'

Me: 'Have you ever lost your other keys? You know - the ones on a key ring, altogether?'

Him: 'No.'

Me: 'Have I?'

Him: 'No.' Then, under his breath: 'Bollocks.'

9 comments:

  1. Why - oh why - are men like that?
    (if you know - then tell all of us please)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aims, don't quote me on this - but I think it's something to do with having a penis...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tee hee - have to confess that I'm the one who loses BOTH sets of keys. My husband, unencumbered by kids, violins and shopping bags when he walks in the front or back door, has the time to set all of his things down in the same place every single day, therefore always knows where they are. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you looked in the rubber seal of the washing machine? I lost a key recently for about three months - found it just the other day, slightly rustier, but it still works, and thank God! so does the washing machine. Hoorah! Glad you had good hols.

    Mya x

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like male logic to me!! I agree with aims - if you know why men are like this do tell us, you could probably make a fortune!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL. He is using my second theory of lost things. (ie. It'll turn up, please, please, please, please...)

    The first one is "It's always in the first place you looked."

    What is it about men insisting keeping all their keys separate? My Other Half hassles me mercilessly about having a 'clump' of too many keys. My theory is I'm less likely to lose/leave behind 'a key', but he doesn't agree with me. But now I have a damn good theory for that too - as put forward by expatmum. Thank you expatmum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. EPM - I think your theory is probably right. Personally I would be lost without a chest of drawers to put my keys on the moment I walk through the door. If I ever mess up and put them somewhere else then I, too, am a lost woman...

    Mya, good point. But there's no way I'm going in there. Husband can do it... (and so of course it will not get done).

    Rosie, it's definitely male - but is it logic?

    Tracey, it's clumps of keys all the way for me. Mind you, if I ever did lose them then I would be truly screwed...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, I love comments. Where else will you hear about man logic and penises? Knowing, of course, that the two are never found together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. RC, only at your bunco nights, I would imagine...

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...