Saturday 2 February 2008

I would like to thank my mum, my dad, my sister, my nursery school teacher....

It is clearly the weekend - because the television is SO rubbish that there is no way I'm prepared to sit in front of it this evening, and have resorted to brain-dumping (such a charming expression, a hangover from my corporate days I'm afraid) on my blog again...


Here are some interesting facts:


Did you know that woolly mammoths, far from trumpeting like modern elephants, made calls that resembled nothing so much as a howling timber wolf with a blocked nose? And that they had two trunks not one, which they would use interchangeably? Or that quite frequently they travelled in pairs, with one of them riding a Thomas the Tank Engine push-along truck? And I bet you weren't aware for a moment that a mother's toes are fair game for train-riding mammoths, whilst she stands unawares in the kitchen waiting to get some milk out of the microwave in an attempt to calm down the pesky creatures before bed-time?


Neither was I. But I found it all out this evening, without even switching on the Discovery channel...



Now, I need to say a big thankyou. When I started blogging, back in the mists of July 2007, it was because I had inadvertently come across Pig in the Kitchen whilst searching for some nut free recipes to feed the Boys. I read the most current post. Then I read a few more. And whilst I was wiping tears of laughter from my eyes, I started to think; maybe I could do that. Well, not that, exactly. I can't cook like she can, write recipes like she can, or photograph the results like she can. So actually, not really like that at all. But something like it. As in putting words down on a page. And after thinking about it some more I took the plunge and set up my own blog.


For the first few weeks I posted and commented, and found there were a few blogs that I kept coming back to. Now it's more than a few, but at the time I was more restrained. Less addicted, you might say. And back then one of those blogs was Omega Mum's at 3kidsnojob. So for her to pass this award on to me - without getting too effusive about it, I am English after all - is a big deal.













I am well chuffed.


She writes that this award originated with a Canadian blogger, who stated:


'I love being a part of the blogging community and part of all the friendships that I've formed, so I wanted to give a blog award for all of you out there that have Excellent Blogs. By accepting this Excellent Blog Award, you have to award it to 10 more people whose blogs you find Excellent Award worthy. You can give it to as many people as you want but please award at least 10.'


So, in no particular order, here are the first 10 people I would like to pass this on to. Deep breath...


Dulwich Mum (black and white goes with Everything, don't you think?), Big Blue Barn, Pig in the Kitchen (assuming she doesn't have it already), Tattie Weasle (when she finishes her tax returns), Reluctant Memsahib, Nunhead Mum of One, Expat Mum (new on the block since January and great), Rebecca James (although her blog-holiday to the middle of January seems to be getting a little out of hand), Debio at The Land of Sand, GuineaPig Mum, and last but by no means least Mya at Missing you Already...


That wasn't so hard now, was it? Of course the fun starts here since I need to get in touch with them to let them know to come and take a look.... Still, like I said at the beginning of the post, there's nothing on tv anyway...

16 comments:

  1. It is rather undignified to blub this much but I am running out of tissues - I am a disgrace, but I am touched. You really are a chum...

    ReplyDelete
  2. aaah - thankyou!!! - and yes, my holiday IS getting a bit out of hand, isn't it.....but I'll be back soon..

    ReplyDelete
  3. You like me, you really like me !! (For those of you who are now thinking I have gone completely American, that was an imitation of Sally Fields accepting something or other a few decades ago.)
    Thank you Potty Mum. You had me going with the woolly mammoth stuff. I was just about to impart the details to my dinosaur-mad 4 year old when I felt my leg being ever-so-gently pulled!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness! Two awards from you in less than two weeks..Thank you! It's absolutely overwhelming.

    We both need to get a life..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I am simply beside myself - but, as the world certainly does not need two of me, I shall pull myself together and howl a great big 'thank you'.

    Somewhat undeserved, I think, as I have been neglecting my pages of late - I intend to post the reasons for this very shortly.

    If it weren't 12 noon here I would crack open some bubbly - virtual 'cheers' anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  6. DM, my pleasure. Make sure those tissues are balsam treated to save the skin on your dainty little nose...

    Rebecca, yes, but WHEN exactly?

    Oh My God EPM - I thought it really was Sally Fields there for a moment. And I wasn't meaning to fool anyone with the mammoths - just to share something of the parallel universe I sometimes feel I live in!

    Aims, you're right. But I just can't turn off the blogging!

    Debio, I am hugely disappointed. I had you down for an 11.30am glass of champers type of a girl. Oh well - I'll be drinking alone, then...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Potty Mummy, I shall pin it on my blog forthwith! Or even sooner than that!

    MNO x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Showing how new and thick I am...can someone tell me how to get the E award onto my blog page and forwarded to others please.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have learnt a new thing about you. Your husband is Dutch. Can we know more about this please?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chuffed to bits. Over the moon. Made up. Thrilled. Bowled over. Gobsmacked. Rather pleased... Thanks!

    Mya x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi NMO, glad you like it and am always pleased to be able to help beautify someone else's blog!

    EPM - will be over to your comments box shortly to see if I can help...

    Iota, what's to know? They are all very tall. And they eat a lot of cheese and pancakes. But just to please you I will work up a post on amusing misunderstandings in an English / Dutch relationship...

    Mya, it's a pleasure. I'm just surprised you don't have it already.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Potty (please excuse the familiarity) came to you via Aims, and will come back again to read more. Your blog brings it all back!
    Regards, Margot.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations to you on your award. I for one am thrilled that you took the blogging plunge.

    It's a nicer place with you here.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Margot, thanks for the visit - and you can call me PM if you like (Potty seems so formal, don't you thing? And frankly, I still kick myself for having chosen it in the first place, though these days it seems increasingly apposite...)

    Thanks RC. I'm - aaawwww - filling up. What a lovely thing to say.

    ReplyDelete
  15. ahhh, wow! thank-you so much! you say lovely things...oh and well done to you! (just realised it's not all about me!)
    Pigx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Pig, of COURSE it's all about you... Now, I must get back to finding a safe hiding place for my new crepe pan so when we have guests they don't use it to cook bacon...

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...