>> Wednesday, 9 September 2015
- Never underestimate the value of a good airing cupboard in England's damp and humid climate. It's price is beyond rubies. (A 2- step drying process, friends; it's where it's at...).
- Never underestimate the value of a humid climate. Sod the fact that clothes left on an airer for 24 hours still feel just a little bit damp; on the plus side, that just-moisturised feeling on your skin really CAN last all day... (silver linings - also where it's at).
- Never forget to count your blessings about the fact that your hair does not suffer from frizz in said humid climate...
- Never over-estimate the generosity of your new landlady. Because who needs more than one smoke alarm in a property, anyway?
- Never underestimate the lengths said landlady will go to avoid using the word 'damp' when referring to the mysterious patches of moisture appearing on the walls at the bottom of the stairs. 'Hydroscopic moisture' is the correct terminology nowadays. Apparently.
- Never discount the sheer pleasure that comes from walking into your local supermarket / clothes store / hardware shop / you name it, and having a conversation in which you can easily be understood.
- Never forget to remind your children that they can now be understood by everyone around them, and especially by the person they have just loudly labelled as 'very short'...