The suspense is killing me...

>> Thursday, 6 February 2014

I've posted before about the fact that I'm writing a novel.  The 'Great Work', as I affectionately and optimistically call it, has been in progress for longer than I care to remember, but finally - FINALLY - I am nearing the end (of the first draft, you understand).

Unsurprisingly, when I mention to people that I'm writing a book, their immediate assumption is that it's chick-lit, or something like it.  Shoes, shopping, expat life, Woman in not so severe Crisis, that sort of thing.  However, it's rather different to that.

I am writing what I have been informed is a 'suspense genre' novel, with a protaganist who is a scruffy 30 year old man rather than a willowy 40-something brunette based loosely on myself, or Juliette Binoche.  (Because, you know, in a certain light...)  And rather than doing the sensible thing and putting a plan on paper before I started, I have allowed the story to grow organically.  The characters have taken shape almost by themselves, rather than sticking to any pre-planned format that I created.

It's been an interesting process, not least because I didn't know at the beginning how the story was going to end.  There's just one problem.

I am within a few thousand words of finishing the first draft - and I still don't know how it's going to end.

Like I said, the suspense is killing me...

9 comments:

Studio Kaufmann 6 February 2014 at 16:39  

Sounds fab! Is it set in Moscow. Would love to know more about everyday Moscow life. Good luck and can't wait to read it.

Expat mum 6 February 2014 at 16:49  

Very cool! Well done. I have the opposite thing - I know what my ending is but I can't figure out how to get there. Sigh.

Iota 6 February 2014 at 21:05  

Kind of like life then. You make it up as you go along.

Melissa 7 February 2014 at 08:14  

Exciting! I have a new idea for a book (I have put the last one in a drawer). I know how it starts. I know how it ends, it is the huge bit in the middle that is alluding me.

Melissa 7 February 2014 at 08:15  

Sorry that should be eluding. early morning...

Metropolitan Mum 7 February 2014 at 14:18  

I have always been in awe of people who can write without knowing where the story is going to go. Amazing. How do you keep track of what's happening???

Tracy Enright 7 February 2014 at 14:30  

I'm a bit of a pantser when it comes to plotting as well. I have a murder mystery with three potential murderers and I'm resigning myself to the fact I might have to write three different endings since the characters aren't telling me whodunnit.

Stick with it though, you've got this far!

MsCaroline 7 February 2014 at 21:50  

I'm sure the fact that you don't know will come through and make the read that much better. More like real life and a real mystery, where things unfold at their own pace instead of planned according to an outline.

nappy valley girl 10 February 2014 at 15:03  

Good luck! It sounds great, and I'm sure it doesn't matter that you don't know the ending yet - I'm certain I've heard great writers being interviewed who don't know how their books are going to end.

Post a Comment

Go on - you know you want to...

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Customised by Grayson Technology

Back to TOP