Monday 18 June 2012

You can lead a horse to water...

We are lucky enough to live in something of a paradise for kids.  There are 2 playgrounds, a tennis court, a football pitch, roads quiet enough (most of the time) for them to scoot and cycle to their heart's content.  There are no fences, so no impediments for explorers and adventurers.  I never imagined when I moved to Moscow that I would be able to open the back door and just set my sons loose, but there it is, I can.

Today, the weather is glorious; not too hot (around 22degC), almost cloudless skies, a light breeze.  School is out for the next 9 weeks or so.

I have arranged playdates for both boys.

The barometer, you might say, is set fair for a day of outside fun.

And yet where do they all want to be?

Inside.

Give me strength...

(I am now going upstairs with my 'nasty mummy' head on to bodily throw all four of them out of doors whether they like it or not...)

7 comments:

  1. I saw the title of this post on Twitter and laughed because it's so true. I've had years of persuading my boy to get outside in the fresh air. I've found that even if I get him out there, I turn round a few minutes later and he's sneaked back in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...mine did the same thing (and still do,) although (bizarrely) they developed a passion for running outside whenever it rained when we lived in Arizona - it happened so rarely, they were always fascinated with the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nine weeks' holiday? Oh my goodness. As for the rest, it sounds oh so familiar!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! We bought a house with a massive garden because I was a complete outside child and made the mistake that my then 8 month old daughter would be the same Fast forward 9 years - she's been out there on her own maybe a handful of times. She'll come out with us for a BBQ or to water some plants, but I think it's just to keep us from nagging. She hates the outdoors and I now have hours of gardening! Next house will be more house and way less garden!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really glad you posted this, as I was beginning to think my son was something of a freak and possibly a vampire to boot. My daughter(s), on the other hand, seem to love 'outdoors'.

    P'raps he's afraid of some snooping DM paparazzi...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lordy, we have the same struggle. Sometimes, it's as if making them go outside is a punishment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so get this. The worst with my kids is that they want to be outside when its raining and then I too have to evict them from the house when its sunny!

    BNM

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...