Thursday 28 October 2010

It's Groundhog Daaaaaaaay....

So I started to pull together a post about where the time goes and dang me if I didn't realise that writing the damn thing was boring even me to tears.

(Note to self; if a blog post bores even the writer it is not good news. Abort, abort).

So I'll do what I always do when short of an innovative idea for a post; I will relate a conversation with one of my children...

It's 7.00am on Monday and still dark outside (heaven help us when the clocks have gone back this weekend). Boy #2 does NOT want to get out of bed - and I don't blame him. However, needs must, and in the interests of keeping things on an even keel, I remind him that at the end of this week we are heading back to the UK for half term and will be visiting family there.

He immediately perks up.

Boy #2: "So are we going tomorrow? Is it tomorrow? Is it? Is it?"

Me: "No, on Friday, after school."

Boy #2: "Is that today, then?"

Me: "No, on Friday. Today is Monday. We have today, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday to go through before we reach Friday. So that's 4 sleeps."

Boy #2: "4 sleeps. OK. So is that tomorrow?"

Me: "No, first we have Monday (today), Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and then it's Friday."

Boy #2: "Friday! Hurray! It's Friday! Are we going to England today?"

Repeat to fade...

Is it any wonder that my life sometimes feel like Groundhog Day?

14 comments:

  1. Glad it isn't just me who has this type of conversation. Drives me totally demented. It isn't the first time. It isn't even the 20th time. But by the 50th time of asking I'm usually banging my head on the table weeping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. repeat to fade!!
    I laughed so much it made me cough!
    Having had personal experience of their fab conversation and comments I can well imagine this one!
    Very, very funny!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way... I have the same level of conversation with Darling Husband half the time too!
    (don't tell him I said that)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Frog. Think our OHs were made in the same mould *looks around for megaphone*

    LCM x

    ReplyDelete
  5. That kind of conversation sounds SO familiar....

    have fun in the UK!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry, but I'm laughing out loud here.

    My life is full of daughter spelling out words she can't read, and expecting my attention span to last from beginning to end, so that I can tell her what it says. It's strangely hard to concentrate. "What does W H I Z Z I N G spell?" "What does A L O N G spell?" "What does "Q U I C K L Y spell? Mum.... Mum... What does it spell? You weren't listening?"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Or you could have the scenario in the Expat household every morning:

    7 y/0 - "Mom, blah , blah blah".
    Me - "Put your coat on, we're going to be late.."
    7 y/o - "Mom, blah , blah, blah.."
    Me - (facing the ceiling by now) "Put your coat on, we're going to be late.."
    Fade to gray....

    ReplyDelete
  8. and let's not forget that old favourite: Are we there yet? And repeat for the next 300 miles.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hear you. Marie's at the stage where everything before now is "yesterday." Also very tiring.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never tell Jonathan we are going to do anything until right before we are going to do it. Otherwise I'll never hear the end of it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loving the new design, great work. Will it always be this way?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sorry - I couldn't get passed the fact that you said your boy didn't want to get out of bed...Does that happen? Can I have one of those?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry, bad timing...I've tagged you x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I found your blog as a recommendation from Google Reader. I love your site! I’m going to poke around a little bit, but don’t worry I’ll put everything back where I found it!!

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...