Wednesday 26 October 2011

The Gallery: Faces

The prompt for Wk 79 of Tara's Gallery is 'faces'. This being a pseudo-anonymous blog (cue ironic laughter), that one presents me with something of a problem. No names, no pack drill, and - crucially - no identifiable faces. Other than my own, on occasion, but I figure you deserve better than that.

Russia is famously full of beautiful faces. Natalia Vodolononiavonoviifcokeo (or whatever her name is - can you tell I'm behind on my Grazia and Heat reading?), and many other supermodels hail from this land of the gorgeous. I'm not sure why Russia seems to have more than it's fair share of beauty; I suspect it's a combination of genes, eating habits, and the women here ensuring that whatever they have, they make the best of it in a way which isn't necessarily a priority to many of us from elsewhere.

Sure, Western women may not particularly like the way sexuality is used as currency here, and there's certainly a different style of dress and make-up involved, but it's a fact of life that Russian women take more noticeable care of their appearance than many of us elsewhere. Whatever else they may be, they certainly don't feel invisible as they grow older in the way that women often complain about back home.

But.

I am here to tell you, ladies, that there is a counter-culture. Women who wear their experience on their faces rather than smoothing away their wrinkles and blemishes with potions and lotions, perhaps not by choice but all the same, they don't fit the mass-export version of Russian beauty as shown in the meja.

I took this photo outside the Pushkin Museum last spring. This woman is simply sitting, probably on her break (she may well be one of Russia's redoubtable Museum Curators I refer tohere, she certainly has that look about her), enjoying the early May sunshine.

To me she looks formidable; not a bad thing to be in this city. And whatever else she may be, I would say that one thing this face isn't, is invisible.




10 comments:

  1. Great post - I love it. I like to think I'll have the confidence to grow old gracefully and to embrace showing my experience on my face. Admittedly I am still throwing all manner of creams at it in the hope that it'll be a slow old process !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Her body could use a little help, but I think her face is fabulous. It doesn't look like it has been worn out all that much. I was expecting something quite different. Nice post, PM.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She just looks so darn RUSSIAN, doesn't she? Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, PM. Most of the women in Korea take fabulous care of themselves - they carry parasols in the sun and you can even buy arm gaiters to protect your skin from the sun in case you're wearing short sleeves on a cloudy day and suddenly get caught outside in the sun without a parasol. On the other side, you also see many elderly women who one can tell suffered through the Korean war and who could give less than a damn about their skin. They have some amazing faces.
    Love the photo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The thing is I'm heading towards 50 and have the Kiwi skin and it doesn't age well. Have loads of wrinkles at the corner of my eyes and don't mind them... but the bags make me look eternally tired.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this. She looks like someone you'd want to stay on the right side of!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah Potty Mum. Howz it going? As I just explained to Iota I'm a few sheets to the wind and I was reminiscing (to myself) about the days when blogging was all relaxed and was about having a bit of a party on friday nights while really pretending that we were listening to our husbands. I miss those days when I didn't know what a PR was and my 'Top blogger blah blah' rating didn't matter.

    Voila, came to say Hi to one of my old bloggy friends and will now retreat to the sofa and contemplate suicide when I read this over in the morning.

    Ahh, blogging.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Having been in Moscow in the Spring I can testify that looking "formidable" is certainly a plus! And I look formidable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks MAM - and show me the woman who isn't using potions and lotions to try & slow down time!

    Nora, thankyou!

    Jax, she does, yes.

    MsC - ARMGAITERS? Really?

    RWT, thankyou - glad you liked it.

    ALW, ah yes, the bags. Damn the bags...

    Emily, I totally agree.

    Pig, I certainly hope you didn't contemplate suicide on re-reading your comment - seemed perfectly sound to me...

    R&C - so did you have a good time?

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...